Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jack6128 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2011, 04:00 PM
    GE washer motor overheats and smokes during spin cycle
    GE washer, model - WBSE3120B

Motor starts to overheat and smoke when spin cycle kicks into high gear, then cuts out, probably due to thermal protection circuitry

The machine will progress through the agitation and rinse cycles with no problem and will begin the spin cycle. Problem occurs when spin speed increases after a brief period of lower speed spinning. This motor has two speeds. I am guessing that the higher spinning speed is accomplished by the high speed winding in the motor and not via the transmission, and that the problem is either in the high speed motor winding or some condition that is creating a drag when the basket is spinning

Any thoughts or suggestions as to how to proceed with testing?

Thanks, Jack
    jack6128 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2011, 11:13 AM
    PROBLEM SOLVED

I loosened the four nuts that secure the motor to the frame, removed the belt from the pulley, isolating the motor and put the machine into spin cycle. When the spin cycle kicked the motor into high gear, it began to smoke. New GE motor on the way from eBay, $130 delivered

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool washer, agitator works, but during the spin cycle it doesn't spin [ 1 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool washer, I replaced the outer tub and the drive block, but it now doesn't spin. It drains the water, I can hear the motor come on, and feel the vibration . The switch is fine. I looked at the couple, but did not take it apart. The clutch looked fine, sanded the pads and case....

Kenmore Elite Washer does not spin in slow spin cycle until lid is opened and closed [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Top Loading Washer, Model 110.24952300. When the washer goes to the spin cycle, it does not spin in the first spin cycle. It does this in the slow spin cycle that precedes the main spin cycle. When it cycles to the regular spin cycle, it does spin properly. I found that...

Kenmore washer 70 series humming at spin cycle - won't spin [ 4 Answers ]

RE: kenmore 70 series model 110.20712990 Type 111 top load washer. Won't spin. Humming noise and a little burning/hot smell when supposed to be spinning. Bypassing the lid switch did not correct the problem. Changed out the motor coupling with no luck... still a humming noise but no smell.

Washer machine will not complete entire cycle. It gets to the spin cycle, and stops. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a GE washer, (about 5 years old). The washer goes through the wash and rinse cycles fine. When it gets to the spin cycle, it stops. I can override and manually place the machine on spin. How can I fix this problem so the cycle runs through completely. Thank You

View more questions Search