Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Yardguy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2010, 03:31 PM
    Problem with a used portable generator
    I bought a used portable generator on craigslist for $150.. The owner assured me it worked fine. I plug in the leaf blower I was going to use and it ran so I figured it worked OK. I tried it out today and got smoke from the blower within about 20 minutes. The power cord plastic is melted and I need a new cord. The plug-in connector on the blower is covered in melted plastic so it needs to be either replaced or just cleaned. I don't understand why this isn't working. 2500 watts should be plenty to run a leaf blower.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Nov 26, 2010, 11:33 AM

Hi,
    It may be the gauge of the cord, it should be a minimum of 16 ga. Too small gauge wires will cause excessive voltage drop and make the current increase which transaltes into heat.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2010, 02:12 PM

Yardguy, I would check the gensets output with a voltmeter. Good luck

Nov 28, 2010, 06:07 AM
    Comment on crigby's post
    Possible... except I use the same power cord when running off household current and have no problems.

Nov 28, 2010, 06:07 AM
    Comment on parttime's post
    The generator is in for testing at this moment.

Nov 28, 2010, 06:10 AM
    Comment on crigby's post
    One other note: The leaf blower is a Black & Decker model BV4000 which when it came out had a tendency to catch fire at the plug in. So, maybe there is something about the way it was built to handle regular current but not A generator?

Sep 3, 2011, 07:02 AM
    I spent about $50 to have the generator checked over and the company was able to volt meter test and by dropping the RPM of the engine was able to get everything to acceptable levels.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2011, 12:43 PM
    Hey Yardguy, I'm glad your all good, and thanks for the update.

Jul 15, 2013, 10:49 AM
    The cord was 100 feet of 16 gauge wire bought at a home improvement store. They recommended I buy the 13 gauge wire and use 50 feet. At nearly $50 it is difficult to buy but the smaller gauge gets all twisted up and maybe the heavier gauge will keep its shape.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2013, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Yardguy View Post
    The cord was 100 feet of 16 gauge wire bought at a home improvement store. They recommended I buy the 13 gauge wire and use 50 feet. At nearly $50 it is difficult to buy but the smaller gauge gets all twisted up and maybe the heavier gauge will keep its shape.
    13 gauge? 12 or 14 perhaps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Portable Generator question [ 6 Answers ]

My emergency portable generator circuit breaker trips (the 220/240v outlet) when I plug the house supply cord into it. I am wondering if the problem could be a less than ideal ground wire or if you can suggest something else to check out. The generator is reasonable new and works well on 120. ...

Portable generator [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4500 watt portable generator .when I plug something into it it doesn't seem to give that appliance full power,such as lights will be somewhat dim and flicker , not boldly but a flicker nonetheless. Engine runs smooth, but notice the needle on the meter won't quite go up to 120v and it has...

Portable generator [ 2 Answers ]

QUOTE=tkrussell]The 100 volts is a bit low. Electrical device operate on +/- 10% , so the lowest volts supplied should be no lower than 108 volts. Incandescent lamps and electric heat will work fine on 100 volts. But any motors may overheat using 100 volts. Volts is usually changed on the...

Portable generator [ 2 Answers ]

The question I have is that my generator is only putting out about 100v. I would like to know if this will cause damage to anything that is running off the generator. Correct me if I am wrong but don't most appliances run between 110 and 120. I was told that the output of the generator could vary...

Portable Generator [ 6 Answers ]

I am interested in purchasing a 5000 to 6200 watt portable generator to use during power outages. What are the safety concerns such as rain, snow, how far from any structues must it be used, and can it be placed on a deck? Also would like to here any recommendations as to what model and...

View more questions Search