Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marty_Escarcega Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2010, 08:30 AM
    16hp Briggs & Stratton Vanguard Carb Question
    I have a 16HP B&S Overhead Valve Engine. I installed it in my golf cart which previously had a Honda 8hp OHV engine. Salisbury belt drive torque converter system.

The new B&S engine doesn't seem to idle slow enough to keep the driver clutch from starting to engage. With tension on the belt, I can't shift the transaxle into gear without forcing it. I don't want to damage the transaxle. The old Honda engine did idle slow enough.

The B&S engine, when I back out the idle speed screw all the way will not idle slow enough. Curiously, turing the idle mixture screw in all the way won't stall the engine. (but does have some minor effect on engine speed)I put pressure on the throttle plate to force it all the way and the engine still runs. I would have thought the engine would die.

My questions
    1. Backing the idle speed screw all the way out and turning the idle mixture screw in all the way doesn't seem to affect the engine too much. Makes me wonder if there is a problem with the carb dribbling in fuel?

2. What is the normal idle speed for the B&S 16hp OHV Vanguard Horizontal Shaft engine vs the Honda 8hp OHV engine?

3. It was suggested the B&S has a higher idle speed than the Honda. And that I would have to install stiffer springs in the driver clutch if I can find them.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Marty
    Mesa, AZ
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2010, 10:13 AM

This engine should idle down until it dies.check your throttle shaft on the carb sounds like there's something keeping it from coming down.
    Marty_Escarcega Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2010, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    this engine should idle down until it dies.check your throttle shaft on the carb sounds like theres somthing keeping it from coming down.
    Thanks, that's what I would have thought. I'll wait to hear of anymore replies... I will double check though.
    Marty
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2010, 08:01 AM

The factory suggest 1100-1400 for a briggs.
    For most hondas is 1000-1200
    Sounds like the gov.needs to be reset
    Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & Stratton 16hp vanguard [ 11 Answers ]

I have a simplicity mower (1998) with a 16hp vertical shaft vanguard v-twin engine (303777 1111-51). Yesterday, after running the mower with turbo bagger attachment (a little extra load on the engine), for about 20 minutes, I idled back the engine and it began belching large clouds of blue/white...

Briggs & Stratton 16hp ohv [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Toro ride on lawn tractor. It is blowing oil through the exhaust manifold. I have already changed the head gasket and rocker arm cover gasket. It idles fine at low rpm's but when I kick it up the motor starts to blow white smoke, oil comes out the exhaust, and the engine rpm's go up and...

Briggs & Stratton 16HP Vanguard Motor [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a B & S 16Hp Vanguard motor that runs hydraulic tools. The motor was smoking and running rough so I replaced the oil, gas, and air filter. I started it up with out the oil filter on and the motor runs perfect. I reinstall the air filter and the motor begins to choke out and run...

Briggs & Stratton Vanguard 16HP OHV No Spark? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All, Seen several threads along this line but nothing that seems to help me. I have a Briggs & Stratton Model 303777 Vanguard (on a 1994 Snapper SR170 Rider). The engine turns over well, but will not start. I am not getting any "thump" when it turns. I am not hearing any clicking from the...

Briggs & stratton 16hp [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Cub Cadet which had a 16hp BS motor with points. It went bad so I found another 16hp BS that does not have points, it has the magnetron ignition. I am having trouble getting it to fire, is there something that I need to change to the wiring to make it fire. The magnetron engine came...

View more questions Search