Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shodaisy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2009, 10:41 AM
    MTD Carburetor
    I have a MTD 17.5 HP riding mower. When I start the engine it sound like there is a large amount of gas going to the engine thena small amount. I removed the air filter and gas filled the area where the air filter set. I figure my problem is in the carb. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 11:23 AM

Drain the tank and add a small amount of Seafoam carb cleaner. See if it will run through, When the gas stops, mix a small amount in I the right proportions with gas and try to get it to run.

Otherwise the carb has to be taken apart and cleaned. Basically the fuel valve has to be cleaned. It's sticking because it was stored with gas in the carb. The fuel valve might be all you have to clean.

MTD Products Landing Page has manuals with model and serial. Briggs has manuals online as well. They are no instruction. Just owners and parts breakdown.

Aug 28, 2009, 11:40 AM

I drain the tank of gas then replace with small amount of gas and the carb cleaner which I take is a liquid carb cleaner. I have only dealt with spray carb cleaners. If this doesn't work, I have the carb removed and cleaned. Right?
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 12:09 PM

Basically. The only area that needs to be repaired in the carb is the float valve or diaphram valve.

Post the model and serial and I'll look on MTDonline.com.
    If it's a Briggs engine, post the model and type.

Aug 28, 2009, 06:53 PM

Drained the tank, filled the line going to the carb with cleaner plus left a little gas which I added carb cleaner to. Let engine run for a minutes then shut off for 5 minutes and restarted. At first it was kind of sluggish but seem to get better. Would advise to stay away from exhaust for first few minutes. Will run fir a few days, next step would be to have carb dismantled and cleaned.

Thanks for the help
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 07:36 PM

Next time let the mix run out until the engine stops on its own. You don't really want to leave a high percentage of carb cleaner in the lines, but you will probably be fine just filling the tank as usual.
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 07:38 PM
    From now on, near the end of the season get gas and add a can of Sta-bil to the fresh gas. Always use high octane gasoline too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carburetor bogs out [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 72 gmc pickup truck with a 350eng and a edelbrock 1406 4brl carb.the problem I am having is while driving the fuel is getting to the carburetor but after about 20min it starts to cut off then it just cuts off,at first I thought there was air coming into the line from the gas tank to the...

Carburetor not getting fuel. [ 1 Answers ]

Can and how do you bypass anti-after fire solenoid?

How to adjust carburetor [ 2 Answers ]

I have a **!#$$* Poulan Prolink PPB 250E string trimmer. Just put a new carb on it, thinking that was my problem. It will now at least crank with the choke on and run pretty well, finally winding up to a fairly high rpm. However, no matter how warmed up it gets, when you turn the "choke" from start...

Carburetor backfire [ 3 Answers ]

17hp Kohler backfiring through the carb. Water was in the gas but now O.K.

Gm 2 jet carburetor installation [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a new carburetor for my 62 chevy bel air... its a newer model of the gm 2 jet carburetor... my problem is the new one has more connections and is somewhat different than the original. My knowledge of cars is very limited... this is my first hot rod... I guess my questions is how do I...

View more questions Search