Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mister B Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2009, 04:10 PM
    Toro briggs and stratton 17hp engine oil consumption
    I have a Toro that I just purchased used that consumes 1 quart of oil every 3 hours of use. I removed the air cleaner and engine oil is dumping out for the engine breather. Do these engines have piston ring issues? I just paid 600 bucks for the mower and new engines are about 850 bucks online. Is there a oil vapor seporator as used on car engines that may have failed?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 9, 2009, 06:26 PM

Hi,
    Would not mind knowing exactly wich engine I am answering for, three are possible with that HP decal.
    It would be "yes" to all questions I perceived. There is a breather that can fail, though not real common. There can be ring issues; almost always caused by oil change schedule not followed, especially that first one that cleans out the break-in particles. Dirt ingestion can also cause it, usually around the air filter.
    One thing to try first would be to change the oil (and filter, if equipped) with a high quality 30W after engine/mower has been used and is hot. Mow two or three times and do it again. This will often greatly reduce the consumption.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

17hp briggs&stratton camshaft removal [ 3 Answers ]

I have trouble with my lawnmower engine turning over just to the compression stroke,somebody said that it might be mcr,or machanical compression release... I have to take out comshaft.how thanks james

Briggs and Stratton 17hp surging [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 17hp B/S on a John Deer Saber. Just had new coil and alternator installed. The motor runs good, but it is surging. What is the problem and how do I fix. Also It has a safety feature where you can not mow in reverse. Would like to disable this if possible.

Briggs & Stratton 17hp Lawn Tractor [ 6 Answers ]

Why is gas leaking into air filter at low throttle?

Still trying to work w/ the 17hp briggs & Stratton lawn mower. [ 3 Answers ]

Went through and cleaned the coil up and the carb to just to be safe. Now have spark but it's not much and when tried to start it back fires through the carb. Need more great suggestions!

17hp briggs & stratton bolens lawn tractor will not start? [ 2 Answers ]

Recently purchased a Bolens lawn tractor w/ a 17 hp briggs and stratton. It does not have spark. Have put in a new plug with no results. Need suggestions what to try next. Thanks!

View more questions Search