Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slockhar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 12:09 PM
    Gas getting in oil reservoir on John Deere riding mower model STX38
    John Deere riding mower model STX38 is getting gas in the oil. I drained the oil and it smelled of gas and had the density of gas, not the thickness of oil. Any suggestions as to how this is hapenning. I can change the oil and put gas in it and it runs great for some time.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jun 13, 2009, 05:23 PM

Hi,
    You did not say whether it was a yellow or black deck, though that would only serve to give me a rough idea of the age. At any rate the inlet seat in the carb is worn out, a common problem with that family of Kohler engines at that age. The best cure is a new carb; you can replace the inlet needle, but that usually only proves to be a temporary fix that will not finish out the season. The other cure I have seen many times is to put a fuel shutoff in the fuel line going to the carb and to use it "religiously." I cannot begin to count the number of STXs I have seen with that added.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere STX38 Riding Lawn Mower Tractor 12.5HP Hydro [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings. I have a John Deere STX38 riding mower. It started just fine the past 3 months. Today I went to mow, it started, I backed it out of the shed and then it stalled out. I immediately thought maybe I had run out of gas, but it is 3/4 full from the last time I filled it which was 2 weeks ago....

John deere riding mower [ 2 Answers ]

I have a john deere riding mower. I mowed for about 15 min this morning and it just stopped. It runs, it just will not go in forward or reverse.

Linkage for john deere stx38 mower deck [ 1 Answers ]

I bought an older ('95 - '98) John deere stx 38 lawn tractor. It has a black deck and a Kohler 13 HP engine on it. When you turn sharply, the left front tire rubs against the deck, this would be the left side as you sit on it. Could the linkage be wrong length?

John Deere L 110 Riding Mower [ 1 Answers ]

I have an L 110 riding mower from John Deere and I have to charge the battery. I just bought a charger and will charge it for first time. My question is I have to know if the 12 volt battery in my mower is a wet battery, gel battery, or agm battery. Can you tell me which battery it is? Thanks!

View more questions Search