Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SkyPig Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2009, 10:52 AM
    Briggs & Stratton, 17.5, smokes with blown oil
    I ran my mower for the first time in about a month, never a problem besides old battery. After about 10 minutes on low, flat ground grass, it rumbled and started smoking A LOT and started dying. I let it sit for a few, started again and same symptom.

I checked oil, no fuel that I could tell but does need changing, fuel filter is clear, spark plug DOES have oil on it, and oil is seeped onto base around motor and onto pulleys below.

Is this a head gasket problem?

Thanks in advance.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 02:31 PM

Head gasket or valves stems are my first thoughts. What is your compression?
    SkyPig Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2009, 06:51 PM
    I don't really know how to check the compression.

I drained the oil this afternoon, and found that I was wrong about the fuel in the oil. It was there. I drained it all out, ran some new oil through it to purge the old, filled it, removed the airfilter to make sure that wasn't contributing, and then started it. It started right up, smoked heavy for a moment, and ran pretty good. After a few minutes it was pushing some blue smoke, thin but noticeable and constant.

Does this help?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 06:54 PM

To check compression you remove the plug and install a compression tester, about $17 at an automotive store. Pull the cord several times and record the highest psi reading, that's your compression. A compression test might help to determine if you have a bad or broken ring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

17hp briggs smokes at start up [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 17hp briggs that blows out blue smoke whan you start it up and then it stops as you run it It just whanever you first start it :confused:

Briggs and Stratton 14.5 [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Poulan 38" cut rider with a Briggs and Stratton 14.5 hp engine. It is about 6 or 7 years old and has always ran great and has had regular maintenance (oil change and plugs, kept out of direct weather). It sat in the garage for about 2 months due to illness when my wife decided to...

12.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Smokes fom Time to Time [ 9 Answers ]

This engine apprears to start and run fine. However, from time to time it will smoke like a freight train then clear up and be find. This may occur several times in a two hour period. Any sujections on what may be the cause? Thanks for your Help!

View more questions Search