Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    r_bob1 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2006, 08:02 AM
    Lots O Gas out the Carb (BriggsStratton14OHV)
    I have a Simplicity Regent 5 speed with a BS 14 OHV. I had not used it in several weeks... I put gas in and drove it around the house, then parked it. That night I could smell gas in my house. In the morning, it cranked but would not turn over. I found that all the gas was gone! After adding more gas, I found that gas was running into the carb and then onto the ground! (Gas poolled in the carb such that it was soaking the air cleaner.) Any Ideas what could be wrong?

Eric:eek:
    robc68fb Posts: 41, Reputation: 5

Oct 5, 2006, 01:03 PM
    If you are mechanically inclined, take the carburator off, the float that is inside the bowl could possibly be stuck. I don't know how yours is set up, but it could be a possibility.

I recently replaced a motor on my murray & ended up losing all my gas in the crank case with the oil after running it for a while. That's what was wrong with mine. Good luck.

Oct 5, 2006, 04:38 PM
    I just checked the dip stick and I have gas in the crank case too... I am glad it did not start!
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2006, 05:27 PM
    What happens if it was fine before, is the float just usually gets stuck (14hp it does have a float type carb) and lets gas free flow into the carb, and the only way out then is through the breather into the crankcase... and if the intake valve is open, out there and through the combustion chamber...

I'd recommend taking the bowl off, and take the float pin, and take it out and in, out and in a few times and move the bowl up a few times with it in...

And invest in a cheap fuel shutoff valve to put in line the fuel line.
    Oh, and replace the air filter when your done.

Oct 5, 2006, 05:56 PM
    Thank you, it sounds like you guys have figured it out for me... I will let you know what I find.

Oct 5, 2006, 06:52 PM
    Do you guys know where there is a manual for this motor on-line...
    robc68fb Posts: 41, Reputation: 5

Oct 5, 2006, 07:56 PM
    Glad to help. Make sure to change the oil after your'e done with the carb too!
    Good luck to you.
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2006, 11:53 PM
    Owners manual? visit www.briggsandstratton.com

Enter the model number to get it (they have a link to owners/illustrated parts manuals)
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2006, 11:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by robc68fb
    Glad to help. make sure to change the oil after your'e done with the carb too!
    Good luck to you.
    OH YES!! Gas barely lubes the cylinder, it's very bad when its in the oil.

Oct 16, 2006, 04:03 AM
    Ok, I got the reverse problem now... I think? After doing what you suggested, float valve clean, new oil(two changes). It ran great. I stared cutting, the now almost a foot tall grass :) but it stopped and would only start choked? Is the float stuck up now?

Eric
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2006, 01:18 AM
    Yes it could very well be.. also if you weren't cleanly when you did this? could have trash in the carb

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lots of questions about the belly button [ 10 Answers ]

Hey I know I've asked a lot but I'm scared of my belly button getting infected so is it OK if I covered my peirced belly button with a bandaid for like the whole healing prosses? And how long till it heals? And how do I know it healed? And some times I get stomach ache and I get sick is it because...

Lots of questions [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you

3 lots, selling 2 of them [ 1 Answers ]

If I own 3 lots and I am selling 2 of them, will I have to pay capital gains taxes on the 2 lots I am selling?

Car is burning lots of gas [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2000 Plymouth Neon. My engine light is on and I am noticing that I am burning a lot of gas lately. I have been just going to work same as usual and I am burning an extra quarter tank or so of gas. For instance, usually to and from work I use 1/4 a tank, so 1/2 in two days. Now after 2...

View more questions Search