Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kennym1986 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2009, 12:55 PM
    Starting an old lawn chief Riding mower
    If my mower started yesterday but won't start today even though the battery isn't dead what could be wrong with it?
    eeseely Posts: 100, Reputation: 3

Apr 15, 2009, 01:25 PM
    From your description, you can crank the engine, so it sounds like a fuel problem.
    If you left fuel in your tank over the winter, you could have water in your gas.
    I would remove the spark plug, then dribble some good gas into the cylinder area; then
    Put the spark plug back on and give it a crank.
    If it starts briefly, then quits, you have a fuel issue.
    Check your spark plug and clean or replace it if it has a lot of carbon on it.
    Check for a spark by holding the spark plug wire about a 1/2 inch or less from
    The top of the spark plug.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 11:33 AM

I agree with most of the post above, it does sound like a fuel problem. If you check your spark it is more of a sure thing to pull the plug, reattach the wire and let the plug rest on the block and then turn the starter. You should see a very crisp blue spark, if not replace the plug after gapping. I would drain the tank and the carvb bowl and start with fresh fuel not stored over the winter. Add a small amount of carb cleaner like SeaFoam to the fuel. You may need to spray some starting fluid into the carb air intake to get it to fire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawn Chief riding lawn mower [ 10 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there is some kind of online manual or diagram showing how to put together different areas of a lawn chief riding mower? We have an older model we're fixing up... just wondering if there's any display or step-by-step instructions w/ pictures online... thanks! Nicole

Belt sizes for lawn chief riding mower [ 1 Answers ]

Having no luck finding any info on this lawn chief Model 1239. Man what a pain. Started trying to find the belt size. The mower belongs to her late husband. Looking for a manuel online or just the deck belt size. Please help if you can, I'll pay a million dollars. Tanks so much. First time here on...

Lawn Chief riding mower [ 6 Answers ]

Two wires got disconnected from our riding lawnmower. I need to know where the 2 red wires are supposed to go. The longer red wire is hooked to the key or kill switch and the shorter red wire is hooked to the solenoid. I think the shorter wire is for ground. The mfg. # is 0048 and the model # is...

Old lawn chief riding mower [ 11 Answers ]

model # 2-1136 vd date of manufacture 6-36548x57 1056 36" cut engine starts right up but cuts out when put in gear... the boy says that he started it up put it in gear herd a clunk and it clunked out... could it be the clutch brake or the trans..? I hate to push it out to the curb...

Lawn Chief Riding Mower [ 2 Answers ]

Could any one tell me if my riding lawn mower "Lawn chief" needs gauge wheels on the deck? Thank you

View more questions Search