Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1PatS Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 06:40 PM
    12.5hp Briggs & Stratton Engine leaking oil
    I have a ~16 year old Murray tractor with 12.5 hp B&S engine. When I tried to start it this season, it started rough, smoked badly and died. Found oil leaking near muffler and on the floor. Pulled the spark plug and it also had oil on it. Battery still cranking starter, but engine won't start.

Any ideas? Catastrophic failure? Worth fixing engine or time for a new one?

Thanks for your help, 1PatS
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2009, 06:59 PM

Is there oil in the air cleaner?

Is the oil at the proper level?

If the first and second are true, replace the oil breather. The hose that goes to nowhere, probably near your muffler. It's attached to the block and replaced from the outside.
    mazak Posts: 148, Reputation: 5

Mar 30, 2009, 07:02 PM

First check engine oil.make sure it is full.then,leave the plug out, spin the engine over until all the oil stops coming out of where the plug goes. Clean the oil off the plug, reinstall the plug. Check the oil again just to be sure. Then try to start. Post back with the results.
    1PatS Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2009, 07:09 PM

I found gas in the crankcase and emptied all out. Took off bowl to carb and cleaned. Took out spark plug and turned over a few times. Refilled oil and started. Now runs great. Thanks for the tips.
    mazak Posts: 148, Reputation: 5

Apr 18, 2009, 07:11 PM

Glad you got it going!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs and Stratton engine [ 3 Answers ]

My Briggs and Stratton 10D902 lawnmower engine is running very rich. The air cleaner is OK Can you please advise

14.5 Briggs and Stratton engine [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me how to adjust the valves on a 14.5 over head valve engine? Thanks, roustaboutx

12.5 briggs&stratton engine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a briggs &strattonengine in my ride on lawn mower the battery won't charge when the engine is running

12.5hp I/C Briggs&Stratton engine [ 3 Answers ]

I went to start my riding mower for the first time this year and when it started is smoked real bad. I turned it off and checked the oil, it was over filled. I went to drain the oil and discovered it had gas in the oil. It ran fine last year, but I didn't drain the gas out at the end of the season....

View more questions Search