Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pault_ Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Nov 17, 2008, 03:44 PM
    Toro Zero turn w/ 16 hp Briggs and Stratton
    I have a Toro Zero turn 4200 with a 16 hp Briggs and Stratton motor. I have had the mower 4 seasons. When I try to start it the motor gets to the compression stroke and will not go any further. Sometimes if I turn it back and try again it will go past, pick up some momentum and fire up. I am not sure what to check or where to start.
    OutdoorDist Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Nov 20, 2008, 09:35 AM

Places to start - in order.
    Battery voltage.
    Starter condition.
    Flywheel timing.
    Valve adjustment.
    Pault_ Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Nov 20, 2008, 08:35 PM
    New battery
    Starter turns the engine over
    Not sure how to do the two others.
    Once it starts, it runs fine.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2008, 11:17 PM

Flywheel timing - look for a misplaced sheer pin. Shaft to flywheel. That will be obvious. It happens when you hit something hard.

Valve adjustment
    might be difficult. First you need to find the specs. Repair manuals are available at Home - Briggs & Stratton (Pay). Exploded views and parts lists are free. The model and type are STAMPED on the blower housing.

In general, the procedure is to move the piston so it's 1/4" down in the power stoke and adjust both valves at the same time to the proper gap. Feeler gages are used to check the gap.
    jolley1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2008, 11:02 AM
    Sounds like you may have dinged the shear pin getting the motor a little out of time.
    e3ster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2010, 06:51 AM
    I live in a cold weather winter area. When taking the mower out for the summer at first there was a slight turn of the motor, then just clicking and finally no clicking. My voltages was 10 and under on the battery I replaced the battery and everything started up fine. I found out that during the winter the battery water will freeze if you don't keep is charged. Hope this helps someone else.

-E
    jcmyers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2010, 03:53 PM
    I'll bet you backfire a lot too. I had the same thing occur. There was a factory fix for fuel leaking into the cylinder. Didn't work though. I installed a little shutoff valve in the fuel line as near the float blow input as I could. When I parked the mower, I turned off the fuel supply to the carburator. Took care of the problem. (the reason your battery strained to turn over was because of all the fuel leaked into the cylinder creating too much head pressure... Backfire city).
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2010, 06:45 PM

I think KISS is right,
    If the valve clearence is off then the compression release doesn't work and will not go past the compression stroke.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 13, 2010, 09:22 AM

Hi,
    I will simply point out that to date, manuals are online at:
    K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts
    Peace,
    Clarke
    PS It is the valves
    Ben753 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2014, 02:30 AM
    The sump is full of gas/oil--the needle valve in the carburator failed to shut the gas off from your fuel tank and the sump is full of gas/oil mixture.
    Drain the oil/gas from your motor --refill it with new oil --motor will smoke when first cranked--let it run for a little while this will clear up.
    Use the manual shut off valve to shut the gas off after using the mower each time you use it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

16 HP Briggs & Stratton will not turn over [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 16 HP Briggs & Stratton engine on a craftsman rider that will not turn over (crank.). I know the battery is good because I just replaced it and it sparked real good when the wrench hit both terminals accidentally. The model number is 310707-0136-E1 on the engine. It won't even click...

Toro mower won't turn off [ 1 Answers ]

I have a toro auto drive that will not turn off when the handle is released. Any suggestions?

21 horse briggs & stratton will not turn over [ 2 Answers ]

I have a huskee 21 hp briggs and stratton that ran fine the day before and then I changed oil in it and tried to crank it and nothing happened. I bought a new interstate battery and new post connections and still nothing. I turn the key and get no sound what-so-ever. You would think the solinoid...

Briggs and Stratton 12.5hp engine won't turn [ 4 Answers ]

I have an older MTD with BS 12.5hp mower I inherited. I had to change starter when I got it and it ran fine. Last week I died on me twice (seemed to not get fuel and died). It started back up after 5 minutes without anything on my part. Today I go out and it turns over a little, then bogs down....

View more questions Search