Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobbya777 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 06:49 PM
    Engine will not start
    Engine will not start, turns over very weakly with a fully charged battery. When the spark plug is removed it turns over very well. Put the plug in and it does not turn over. Sometimes you can tip off the spark plug with gas and it will crank right up??

Engine will not start, turns over very weakly with a fully charged battery. When the spark plug is removed it turns over very well. Put the plug in and it does not turn over. Sometimes you can tip off the spark plug with gas and it will crank right up??
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Jun 25, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Depending on the age, the starter commutator may need to be cleaned and undercut. The only difference between spark plug in or out, is compression pressure. Disassemble and inspect the starter, check all electrical connections for tightness.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2008, 07:29 PM
    Hmmm, could be that the valves need adjusting.
    bobbya777 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 05:55 AM
    I asked the original question. New starter already. How do you adjust valves?
    seppi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 07:39 PM
    Check the flywheel for a sheared off keyway,if it has been sheared the timing would be out creating the hard cranking which you are having!!

Seppi;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sears Lawn Tractor [ 2 Answers ]

How do I adjust the blades. One side cuts lower than the other?

How to put a new belt on a sears lawn tractor [ 1 Answers ]

How do I weave the belt for a sears craftsman lt 1000 lawn tractor <moved from Lawn & Garden>

Sears lawn tractor won't start [ 2 Answers ]

Have seen multiple posts on this problem - each referencing checking the 3 safety switches. (when I try to start it sounds like the starter, starter checked out OK- sounds like it drags but won't start). Where are the 3 safety switches located and how do I check them ( explain simply since I'm a...

Sears lawn tractor brakes [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old (1980) sears 12 hp lawn tractor at my summer home that lost its brakes all of a sudden. I do not have the model number or anything but it is the old style gray sears tractor that you see all the time. It has a 4 speed manual tranny. When you push in the brake/clutch, it does not...

Sears lawn tractor [ 3 Answers ]

Can some one tell me how to replace belt on sears ss/16 twin lawn tractor this is a older mower.

View more questions Search