Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcarnivale Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Dec 24, 2007, 07:14 AM
    John Deere L120 Belts, smoke, & snow
    My L120 Deere has 150 hours on it. I've yet to replace the drive or deck belts. I primarily use it for mowing. Does anyone have any experience as to how long either belt lasts?

Also I notice when I bump the throttle to full speed I get a very short burst of black smoke then it's back to normal. Any idea what's causing this?

Finally I'm considering the 42" snow thrower but am concerned about quality because this series is from Home Depot and Lowe's. Any experience with the snow thrower good or bad?
    blindman27 Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Dec 25, 2007, 08:35 AM
    About the black smoke comes out when throttle is in foul speed is because the fuel does not have the time to do a normal burn and comes out from the exhaust that's normal... the bluewhite smoke is from oil so don't worry
    The belts is good to be replaced at 350-400 hrs and the oils at 100
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2007, 06:54 AM
    The belts life varies, watch for signs of uneven wear, cracking, and threads beginning to separate from the rest of the belt. These are all signs of an eventual failure in the belt. Keeping the unit free from debris such as grass clippings, leaves and small sticks from the deck and frame area of the unit as well as the transmission area can increase belt life, and also increase the life of the pulleys and quill assemblies. Do not use water to clean your equipment after mowing, use compressed air to blow off the unit. If you do wash the unit, start it up, engage the blades for about 3 to 5 minutes, then disengage the blades and drive the unit around for a few minutes. Putting a unit up wet is bad because water can seep into undesirable places and cause rust to build up causing damage to unit's components.
    kmonteruil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 08:52 PM
    I have a JD L120 tractor w/a snowblower. It does a great job blowing snow. I live in Northern Michigan. I'm looking at buying a larger tractor that is more suitable for large property landscaping. I'm selling my snowblower, but keeping the tractor. Let me know if you're intersted.
    sgaskill Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kmonteruil View Post
    i have a JD L120 tractor w/a snowblower. it does a great job blowing snow. i live in Northern Michigan. i'm looking at buying a larger tractor that is more suitable for large property landscaping. i'm selling my snowblower, but keeping the tractor. let me know if you're intersted.
    kmonteruil,
    I am looking for a used snow thrower for my L120. Let me know if you want to sell it. Phone days at 585-922-4176 or email me at [email protected]. Thanks Scott

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere L120 [ 4 Answers ]

I have a three year old John Deere L120 lawn tractor that has about 195 hours on it. I cut about 1.5-2 acres once a week, maybe a little more often in the fall to pick up leaves. Recently, the blade clutch experienced an electrical failure for which my local dealer quoted a $500-600 repair. While...

2003 John Deere L120 Transmission Replacement [ 8 Answers ]

I think I blew the 4th transmission on our tractor again. Instead of paying through the nose by sending to the dealer again, I was wondering how difficult it was to purchase and install one if you are not all that mechanical ? If I chose to do it, where can I purchase one cheaper that through the...

John Deere L120 Transaxle [ 12 Answers ]

Is there a way to add hydraulic fluid to a John Deere L120 riding mower? Background: it's about 5 years old. This year it is having difficulty going up hills. I thought it might be the belt, so with the unit upright, I replaced the belt. Now, it won't go at all. I believe (is this possible?)...

John Deer L120 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a John Deer L120 Lawn Tractor and something is blowing the 20amp fuse which in turn shuts down the all power. Looking for ideas?

Replace John Deere L120 Engine? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm having serious smoke problems coming out of the exhaust on my JD L120 riding mower. Constant white smoke that gets worse under load with much knocking and pinging, black smoke at severe loads. I'm considering working on the engine myself as a learning project as I have all the manuals which...

View more questions Search