Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JT42 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2007, 09:18 AM
    Blower very slow to turn off
    I've noticed this occasionally over the last couple of years but recently it seems to be happening more frequently (almost daily.) The blower will continue to run for quite some time even after the burner has been turned off, to the point of blowing cold air. When this happens, if I turn the cool/off/heat switch to off, then the auto/on switch to on and then back to auto, the blower will immediately stop. (Of course, the blower will still run if the fan limit switch determines that it needs to.) This is a natural gas condensing furnace from Lennox installed in 1983. The thermostat is a Sears model (unknown manufacturer) and is probably original (1983?). I don't seem to notice this problem when cooling in the summer.

Any thoughts on what might be going bad?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 6, 2007, 09:22 AM
    I would bet on a fan limit switch that has gone out of calibration. The fan and limit switch is not used in the A/C circuit.
    JT42 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2007, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    I would bet on a fan limit switch that has gone out of calibration. The fan and limit switch is not used in the A/C circuit.
    Should the fan limit switch be replaced or is it OK to just make an adjustment to it? Someone had written "100 off 140 on" on the cover but when I took the cover off it appeared to be set to more like 100 off and 150 on. I moved the off lever to about 110 and re-applied power to the furnace (and turned the thermostat up briefly to force it to come on). I timed how long it took for the blower to stop after the burner extinguished and it was about two minutes which seemed reasonable to me. Being paranoid that I may have over-corrected, I backed it off to about 105 but haven't re-tested it yet.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 7, 2007, 09:00 AM
    Set it where it works for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace fan slow to turn on, off [ 3 Answers ]

We recently (as in last week) purchased a cabin equipped with a Day and Night forced air furnace. The fan for the furnace seems to take an awful long time to come on after the burner assembly ignites, and, similarly, the fan takes an awful long time to turn off after the furnace is turned off. ...

Turn faucet on in bathroom but water run in slow stream [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, I'm new to this forum. Can someone please direct me? I need to fix my bathroom sink. When I turn the water on a slow stream runs; the water doesn't come on full blast. It was running a bit more earlier but I adjusted the gauges underneath the sink and got the results above. ...

Blower motor runs slow [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Luxaire Furnace with a/c, blower motor on furnace runs but very slowly, what would cause this, units are about 9 yrs. Old, motor starts slow and stays slow

Blower will not turn off [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to install a new Blower into a 20+ year old Weather King furnace, the blower will not turn off after all wires are connected, and thermostat is set, the thermostat is as old as the furnace and does not have an auto switch, it is just a dial thermostat. What can we do or what are we doing...

View more questions Search