Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NITRO-BTU Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Briggs no flow carb ?
    I have a 1997 mtd Yardman 18.5 hp.tractor. I have a no start no run condition which I've tried to trouble shoot. I removed the air cleaner and have been able to run gasoline primes through the air horn so, the ignition system seems to be OK. Secondly, I removed the gas line from the inlet of the fuel pump and have gas to the inlet of pump. I believe the problem has something to do with the carb. However, the fuel pump or possibly something else could be the problem. Please, advise, Thank You, All for your inputs. Sincerely, Jim Norris
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Does it have an elecreical solenoid on the carb? This is the fuel-cut solenoid.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2007, 07:52 PM
    ??

Dec 6, 2007, 05:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Does it have an elecreical solenoid on the carb? This is the fuel-cut solenoid.
    NOPE, NO SOLENOID ON THE CARB. THE TRACTOR IS A "YARD MACHINE" NOT A YARDMAN. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS? JIM
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Then I guess the fuel valve is stuck in the carb. Time to takei t apart and thouroghly clean the carb and the fuel system. Pay particular attention to the fuel valve.

This assumes that you get a sputter when you introduce gasoline or carb cleaner in the air horn. Don't use starting fluid.

Dec 7, 2007, 05:50 AM
    Then I guess the fuel valve is stuck in the carb. Time to takei t apart and thouroghly clean the carb and the fuel system. Pay particular attention to the fuel valve.

This assumes that you get a sputter when you introduce gasoline or carb cleaner in the air horn. Don't use starting fluid.
    Hello there, i get more than a sputter, it runs the engine for a few seconds. Please, define this fuel valve in the carb. Jim
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2007, 08:14 AM
    There are 3 basic carb designs that I know of: 1) float (characterized by a bowl and usually a spring loaded valve to drain the bowl), 2) Diaphram and 3) Direct feed where the carb sits on the gas tank.

Gum and varnish accumulate, especially with fuel left in the engine/tank for a long tiime untreated with additives, like Stabil. I treat fall/winter gas for both 2 cycle leaf blowers and 4 cycle snow blowers. The gas could sit from November to May. Not good.

Well, the gum acts as glue to the fuel valve and varnish restricts passages in the mixture needle valves or makes the fuel valve not seat properly.

In the float type carb, the fuel is gravity or pump fed and stopped by a small valve in the carb. That valve basically lets fuel into the bowl and stops when the bowl is full, because the valve is actuated by a lever arm of a float. If the float gets a hole in it, the carb floods. If the valve sticks, no fuel. Debris in the fuel system may also cause the valve to stay open.

In the diaphram type carb, the valve is very light and small. Gum can easily make it stick.
    Engine vacuum basically activates the diaphram and the diaphram is connected to a very small fuel valve. A miniature pump so to speak. If the diaphram gets a hole in it, no fuel.
    If the fuel valve sticks. No fuel. If there is debris in the gas, the valve may stay open and the carb floods. The diaphram carb sometimes has a primer bulb attached to it.

Design 3 is not likely in your case.

You already confirmed it's not the gas shut off, fuel filter or fuel pump if equipped.

Some carbs have two mixture screws. One for the idle RPM range and another for high speed.

Both Welcome to the Parts Store and briggsamdstratton.com have engine diagrams on their website.

The only real cure is to rebuild/clean the carb. This requires disassembly.

I'm not sure of the procedure to set the mixture on the newer engines, but in the old ones, you'd just bottom out the mixture screws and open about 2 turns. Start the engine and adjust until it sounds right.

Cars, on the other hand, in later years cars required drilling out the caps on the mixure screws. I set the idle/mixture using propane gas and a tach which would get the emissions right.

Dec 8, 2007, 07:03 AM
    There are 3 basic carb designs that I know of: 1) float (characterized by a bowl and usually a spring loaded valve to drain the bowl), 2) Diaphram and 3) Direct feed where the carb sits on the gas tank.

Gum and varnish accumulate, especially with fuel left in the engine/tank for a long tiime untreated with additives, like Stabil. I treat fall/winter gas for both 2 cycle leaf blowers and 4 cycle snow blowers. The gas could sit from November to May. Not good.

Well, the gum acts as glue to the fuel valve and varnish restricts passages in the mixture needle valves or makes the fuel valve not seat properly.

In the float type carb, the fuel is gravity or pump fed and stopped by a small valve in the carb. That valve basically lets fuel into the bowl and stops when the bowl is full, because the valve is actuated by a lever arm of a float. If the float gets a hole in it, the carb floods. If the valve sticks, no fuel. Debris in the fuel system may also cause the valve to stay open.

In the diaphram type carb, the valve is very light and small. Gum can easily make it stick.
    Engine vacuum basically activates the diaphram and the diaphram is connected to a very small fuel valve. A miniature pump so to speak. If the diaphram gets a hole in it, no fuel.
    If the fuel valve sticks. No fuel. If there is debris in the gas, the valve may stay open and the carb floods. The diaphram carb sometimes has a primer bulb attached to it.

Design 3 is not likely in your case.

You already confirmed it's not the gas shut off, fuel filter or fuel pump if equipped.

Some carbs have two mixture screws. One for the idle RPM range and another for high speed.

Both Welcome to the Parts Store and briggsamdstratton.com have engine diagrams on thier website.

The only real cure is to rebuild/clean the carb. This requires disassembly.

I'm not sure of the procedure to set the mixture on the newer engines, but in the old ones, you'd just bottom out the mixture screws and open about 2 turns. Start the engine and adjust until it sounds right.

Cars, on the other hand, in later years cars required drilling out the caps on the mixure screws. I set the idle/mixture using propane gas and a tach which would get the emissions right.

Question / 0n the last n0.3 type carb did you mean the gas tank sits over the carb, or how you stated it " THE CARB OVER THE TANK " for the direct feed ? The tractor was last used in may of 2007 then topped off with gasoline. If it's not gum and varnish then what? Jim
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2007, 07:33 AM
    The carb it literally bolted to the gas tank with a tube into the tank with a screened inlet. The tank is just one big bowl. No fuel valve used in this system. Seen in 3-3.5 HP Briggs engines.

It's a carb problem because you have eliminated the fuel pump and filter. A rebuild kit will probably cost about $15.00. If your afraid to rebuild the carb ask your nearest lawn mower shop, if they will do it for you if you bring just the carb in. They should be able to tell you how to adjust it.
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2007, 08:56 AM
    You can try emptying the tank and use fresh fuel. There could be water in the gas. Also look to see if the plug is wet after trying to crank it, but I assume it's not.

Having been idle since May, suggests the gum and varnish as a real possibility.

Dec 8, 2007, 06:28 PM
    The carb it literally bolted to the gas tank with a tube into the tank with a screened inlet. The tank is just one big bowl. No fuel valve used in this system. Seen in 3-3.5 HP Briggs engines.

It's a carb problem because you have eliminated the fuel pump and filter. A rebuild kit will probably cost about $15.00. If your afraid to rebuild the carb ask your nearest lawn mower shop, if they will do it for you if you bring just the carb in. They should be able to tell you how to adjust it.
    Hi, i don't believe i eliminated the fuel pump, i did say there was gas at the pump inlet when the fuel line was removed. However, the gasoline in the plastic fuel tank on the tractor was at the same level as the pump inlet, relative to the engine block. In other words, the gas may have sought it own level being the same as the plastic tank level. Do you still think it's the carb ? Jim
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2007, 07:10 PM
    Post the model number and/or the Briggs engine number, please.

I can't make any suggestions without seeing the unit. Usually sears has a full diagram on the web for almost anything. The engine is definitely at the Briggs website.

If you didn't eliminate the pump, then do.

You can always gravity feed the carb fuel inlet with a hose and funnel. I did that many moons ago with an older car. Put a jug of gas in the engine compartment to get someone home with a bad fuel pump.

If there is an outlet to the pump before the carb, see if you can remove the hose from the carb and pump the fuel into a container by turning the engine over.

Any sort of engine troubleshooting always starts with:

Fuel (simple problems: fuel filter, no fuel and bad fuel)
    Air (Simple problems: dirty air filter)
    Spark (Simple problems: Spark plug)

Jan 22, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Post the model number and/or the Briggs engine number, please.

I can't make any suggestions without seeing the unit. Usually sears has a full diagram on the web for almost anything. The engine is definately at the Briggs website.

If you didn't eliminate the pump, then do.

You can always gravity feed the carb fuel inlet with a hose and funnel. I did that many moons ago with an older car. Put a jug of gas in the engine compartment to get someone home with a bad fuel pump.

If there is an outlet to the pump before the carb, see if you can remove the hose from the carb and pump the fuel into a container by turning the engine over.

Any sort of engine troubleshooting always starts with:

Fuel (simple problems: fuel filter, no fuel and bad fuel)
    Air (Simple problems: dirty air filter)
    Spark (Simple problems: Spark plug)

Hello there, the model number is 42a707, series 1238, made in 1997.
    I have done a few checks... removed the carb drain plug, and cranked... fuel did spurt from the hole. I really need to know what is the mim. spec. in psi. for the fuel pump.
    Next, i sprayed gumout carb cleaner into the main jet, and watched it trickle from the main nozzle. However, the engine still won't start, and will only run on gas primes through the carb.
    Please advise, thanks, jim
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2008, 01:18 PM
    The diagram should be here: http://www.briggsandstratton.com/pdf...0%5CMS0635.pdf

I'd suggest rebuilding the carb with the suggested kit. Parts 117 (main jet) and 105. I'd expect it to be the main jet. 117. The float should just be keeping the bowl full of fuel and I think you verified that's happening.

If there was no intake vacuum, you would not draw fuel into the carb either, but then I would not expect the sputter.

In general fuel pumps just keep the bowl full. This isn't fuel injection.

It's NORMAL to have to rebuild the carb, if you don't use fuel stabilizer. You can clean externally until your blue in the face.

Jan 29, 2008, 09:00 AM
    The diagram should be here: http://www.briggsandstratton.com/pdf...0%5CMS0635.pdf

I'd suggest rebuilding the carb with the suggested kit. Parts 117 (main jet) and 105. I'd expect it to be the main jet. 117. The float should just be keeping the bowl full of fuel and I think you verified that's happening.

If there was no intake vacuum, you would not draw fuel into the carb either, but then I would not expect the sputter.

In general fuel pumps just keep the bowl full. This isn't fuel injection.

It's NORMAL to have to rebuild the carb, if you don't use fuel stabilizer. You can clean externally untill your blue in the face.

Hello it's me again, what do you think of using a small wire to run through the main jet orifice, i just don't know what size wire? [ do you ] also, is it possible to fill the carb to the top with a strong carb cleaner... then, letting it soak would this give the same results as if it soaked in an external bath?
    After soaking for awhile, then remove the bowl drain nut to drain the cleaner out. The only difference between these two methods that i see is that no internal parts, main jet, idle needle screw, etc. are not removed, but are left in place during the soak. What do you think of my idea, would it be effective? Please evulate, and respond asap. Thanks, jim
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2008, 11:17 AM
    No. Won't be effective. Might be damaging to seals. Cost estimate: < $15
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2008, 10:06 PM
    Now that I'm not replying from my cell, I can elaborate. You have gummy varnish deposits and small passages. You cannot get that stuff off without taking it apart. You cannot get the stuff off, just by soaking. It needs a little bit of mechanical work. There are "O" rings and gaskets and they may not like carb cleaner.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NITRO-BTU
    QUESTION / 0N THE LAST N0.3 TYPE CARB DID YOU MEAN THE GAS TANK SITS OVER THE CARB, OR HOW YOU STATED IT " THE CARB OVER THE TANK " FOR THE DIRECT FEED ? THE TRACTOR WAS LAST USED IN MAY OF 2007 THEN TOPPED OFF WITH GASOLINE. IF IT'S NOT GUM AND VARNISH THEN WHAT ?? JIM
    Please use lower case text.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

5 hp briggs only runs when you pour gas in carb [ 1 Answers ]

I got a briggs motor somewhere between 5 and 6 hp. When I put a little gas in the carburater it sucks it in and then will start after a few pulls for about 30 seconds but when it runs out of the gas I pour in it dies then won't star. IF I give it half to full throtle it revs but it won't idle by...

Oil getting into carb on 16 hp Briggs [ 1 Answers ]

I have a lawn tractor with a 16 hp Briggs engine. It burns oil. I put Lucas oil in and it helped. However the problem is back! There is oil showing up in the air filter. Obviously the engine smokes. What are the possible causes?

16 H P Briggs carb takes no fuel [ 2 Answers ]

16 H P Briggs carb will not take gas without squirting into top. Gas IS getting to carb. Wire is hot to anti backfire/fuel shutoff solenoid but it does not click. I'm told it's bad. How do you remove it. I see no threads or how to remove it. Thanks Buddy

19hp briggs new carb and stalls [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all new to the fourum I have a question I hope you all can help. I have a murray lawn tractor with a 19 hp briggs. I put a new carb on it and the tractor runs but stalls under a load like it is running out of fuel. When I inspected the carb the bowl was full of gas and clean. The mechanic I took...

Carb tuning a 12hp Briggs (non-OHV) [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new member who recently purchased a used Montgomery Wards riding mower (serial no.TMC 36937A/K219H). The mower had recently been painted- over red (poorly), so the ser. no. could be slightly off. I am experiencing difficulties in properly tuning the carb (i.e. the governor is kicking in @...

View more questions Search