Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joe walsh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 11:01 AM
    16 hp briggs stratton hard to start
    16 hp v twin briggs and stratton engine very hard to start when cold.
    New plugs fuel and air filter still same problem.
    Exhaust smells very sulfur like and burning sensation in my nasal area.
    Could this be a air fuel mixture problem or blown head gasket?
    Normal smoke from exhaust but will sometimes backfire when trying to start.
    Used daily approx 2500 hrs.
    Don't want to mess with carb adjustment until I know this my be the problem.
    Thanks for any help.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 07:18 PM
    If you are experiencing a burning in your nose, it very well could be the mixture. Adjust and try and "clean up" the exhaust.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

12.5 briggs and stratton won't start [ 18 Answers ]

I'm rebuilding the engine on my murray, it's a 12.5 horsepower power built. I have a brand new starter and the solonoid was replaced about a year ago, but it just clicks when I turn the key, if I hook up the starter and try and turn it over the solonoid clicks multiple times rapidly then won't...

16 HP Briggs and Stratton won't Start [ 11 Answers ]

I was mowing the lawn a couple of days ago and the engine just died on me. I have good spark. I bought a new fuel pump and installed it but still no luck. I can squirt some gas in the carb and it will start right up, then die back off as the gas is used up. There is plenty of gas going through the...

Briggs and Stratton Intek won't start [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I have a new Husquvarna LGT2654 (purchased March 29th) with the Briggs and Stratton Intek V-Twin. It's run fine until now. It's been extremely Hot & Dry in the Memphis, Tn. Area and it's been about 3 weeks since I had to cut the grass... Now it cranks and cranks but won't start. I...

Briggs & Stratton 17.5HP hard to start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Troy Built Pony riding lawn tracotr with a 17.5HP B&S OHV engine with electric start. Most of the time when I go to start it the engine tries to turn over but seizes. When I remove the spark plug the engine turns over easily. When I replace the plug sometimes it starts and sometimes it...

Briggs & Stratton 5 HP - cannot start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Coleman Powermate 2.2 kW 110 volt electric generator which uses a 5 HP Briggs and Stratton engine. I could start it without problems in December when we had a 4 day power outage near Seattle. It helped me out. Now I cannot start it. I tried new gasoline. By using ether (Faststart?) I...

View more questions Search