Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MABuckley Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2007, 03:40 PM
    Briggs & Stratton 18.5 HP OHV Intek Plus - Single Cylinder
    Help!

I just replaced the short block on this motor and I cannot get it to run. I've adjuseted both intake and exhaust valves to 0.004 at 1/4 turn past TDC and no luck. It cranks over and kicks back on the compression stroke with smoke out the carb. So far it has not kicked over at all yet. What do I need to do next? If I could just get it to run I feel confident that I could tune it in but so far I cannot even get a rough run.

When I tried last night all I got was backfiring out the exhaust prior to adjusting the valves to .004. I can see the compression release lift on the intake valve but see no extra lift on the exhaust.

Please help.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 29, 2007, 04:12 PM
    This may help you. However I think your valve adjustment is not correct. Read this site, especially the part about tappet adjustment. You will need your engine model number.

Oct 29, 2007, 04:12 PM
    I guess it would have helped if I gave you the site, dumb me. How are the valves properly serviced?

Oct 29, 2007, 06:17 PM
    Thank you

Oct 29, 2007, 08:05 PM
    I got as far as the flywheel and found I had sheered the key. This is good news, now I am confident I can get it worked out. Thank you again.

Oct 30, 2007, 07:32 AM
    Sheared the key on a bew short block? How would this have happened? Most of the time this happens when you hit a rock or stump under power.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2007, 04:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MABuckley
    I got as far as the flywheel and found I had sheered the key. This is good news, now I am confident I can get it worked out. Thank you again.
    To set the valves it is 1/4 INCH past tdc, not one quarter turn past tdc, it is 1/4 inch past tdc.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Sheared the key on a bew short block?? How would this have happened? Most of the time this happens when you hit a rock or stump under power.
    Ball, I will tell you how he sheared the flywheel key on a new short block. He set the valves at 1/4 turn past tdc, not 1/4" past tdc, and of course the 1/4" past tdc is correct. Therefore, it was timed at 90 degrees off. That is why the key sheared.
    DrRotor Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2009, 10:34 AM
    Hmmmm.

The flywheel is held in place primarily by the conical surface adhesion between the flywheel and the crankshaft stem. The amount of adhesion is a direct result/measurement of the torque applied by the flywheel nut; the key's primary purpose is to place the flywheel (and magnets) in the correct position so as to "time" the magnetic flux introduced (and interrupted) to the ignition coil(s). If the flywheel nut is left loose, the flywheel's rotational energy must then be transmitted from the flywheel to the crankshaft (and vice versa) through the only remaining path; the key. And the key will shear so as to protect both the flywheel AND the crankshaft. In other cases, sudden stoppage of the engine (i.e. hitting a stump or rock) will cause the flywheel to overcome concial adhesion and impose that energy on the key, subsequently shearing it. This allows the flywheel to continue rotating until it stops thereby preventing the crankshaft from having to bear excessive twisting moments (bending) between a very stationary rock and a rotating flywheel that very much "wants to continue rotating." BTW, keys are typically made of a softer material than either the crank or flywheel so that they CAN shear without damaging either the crank or the flywheel or pulley, or gear or whatever the application. A 20-cent key is quick, easy and cheap to replace versus the crank OR the flywheel.

Valve timing is only interrupted or changed if the timing gears are somehow compromised or crank/cam positions are relatively changed. (In other words, valve timing is incorrect only if the timing gear teeth are not matched correctly. Unless you broke open the crankcase and changed these gear positions, it is highly unlikely that valve timing is "off."

My guess would be the flywheel nut was not torqued correctly thus precipitating the key being sheared.

Incorrectly adjusted valve lash/clearance precipitates other problems more adequately addressed in the most excellent link these most excellent respondents have already provided. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & Stratton 14.5 HP OHV No Compression [ 3 Answers ]

My Riding mower has an 8 year old Briggs & Stratton 14.5 HP OHV Engine. Engine always maintained properly and has run well. While mowing, engine ran well for an hour and then suddenly quit for a split second, and backfired as it came back to life. I continued to mow and it did it again, the third...

Briggs & Stratton 16.5 OHV [ 19 Answers ]

I have a B&S 16.5 OHV MTD Yardman that will not turn over even though the starter and battery are OK. It will turn to a point and then stops. If I remove the spark plug it turns freely like it should. I know that removes the pressure in the cylinder but I don't know what could cause it to bind...

Briggs & Stratton 16.5 hp OHV Single crankcase fills with gas [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Yard Machines Riding Lawn Mower with a 16.5 HP Briggs and Stratton Single Cylinder OHV that is filling the crankcase with fuel, gasoline. This happens within an hour of mowing. I have dumped the oil twice now and it fills the crankcase within an hour of operation. It is not...

Briggs & Stratton 14.5hp OHV - Won't Run [ 8 Answers ]

I have a yard machine mower that was running great. It shut off in the middle of cutting and that was that. If I pour gas in the carb it tries to start, so I know I have fire. I have plenty of gas going to the carb and the solenoid on the bottom is working fine. I had the carb off, took the main...

View more questions Search