Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PReggie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 06:01 PM
    Honda Civic 1996 Will Not Start - Could it be the Starter Relay
    I have a 1996 Honda Civic. When you turn the key you hear a click. We thought it was the starter so we bought a rebuilt and put it in. It still does not turn over - not even a ruvvv - just a click

The old start is good and so is the new one. The battery is good. The ignition switch is good.

Battery good and starter good but just not getting to the starter to start.

Could it be the starter relay?

Where is the starter relay located on a '96 Honda?

Any other ideas why this isn't starting?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 06:07 PM
    I still suspect the battery--remove it and place it on a charger. Also, clean battery terminals and cable connections, as well as starter motor connections. Here are some additional thoughts that should help you:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235560

Sep 26, 2007, 06:09 PM
    Tested the battery. Battery is good - also new but we checked it.

We also tried jump starting.

We tested the battery to both starters when out of the car and they worked. Battery is definitely good.
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Check all under-hood and under-dash fuses with a test light or multimeter. Here's how:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

Also, check for a blown fusible link between the battery and the starter motor.

Sep 26, 2007, 06:39 PM
    Would this include the starter relay?
    tozbro Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PReggie
    I have a 1996 Honda Civic. When you turn the key you hear a click. We thought it was the starter so we bought a rebuilt and put it in. It still does not turn over - not even a ruvvv - just a click

The old start is good and so is the new one. The battery is good. The ignition switch is good.

Battery good and starter good but just not getting to the starter to start.

Could it be the starter relay?

Where is the starter relay located on a '96 Honda?

Any other ideas why this isn't starting?
    Chek if engine turns at flywheel
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 06:59 PM
    These days, most new starters are going to come with a new starter relay. Since you have a new battery, starter motor & relay, and the ignition switch is good, I would focus on ensuring the connections between the battery and the starter motor/relay are clean and in good shape and that all fuses are good. Also, ensure the main engine ground is clean.

Starter solenoid (relay) is attached to the starter motor.
    gamikey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2012, 04:28 PM
    1996 honda civic hx. Turn the key and nothing.
    I checked and tested the starter, starter selanoid, battery, all fuses, and traced the starter wiring though the relay all good. Then replaced the starter relay under dash and still nothing. So we used a jumper and jumped from the blk w/white to the blk/red and it started.
    The weird thing is I shouldn't have to press the clutch but I do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

2001 Honda Civic - Starter - Can you show me the location of the starter? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having starting problems with my 2001 Honda Civic EX 4DR. This is the first problem with the car and I can't find the starter. Can you help?

Why won't my 92 honda civic start even after replacing the main fuel relay? [ 3 Answers ]

My honda is still not getting fuel,even after replacing the main fuel/pump relay. I can't hear the fuel pump come on. It took several tries 2 days ago, now it won't get fuel at all. Should I replace the fuel pump? Do they act up a few times then die? I might add that when the car wouldn't start...

1996 Honda Accord Starter [ 3 Answers ]

I think I'm having problems with my starter. A week ago I was driving down the road and my entire dashboard went out and then came back on in a split second. The car still drove fine and I was able to make it to my destination. The next morning when I got up my car would not start. Initially...

1996 Honda Civic Crank but won't start (no spark) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello There, What happen was the previous owner install two kill switch, one for the fuel pump and one for relay under the steering wheel. It wasn't wired neatly and my kids accidentally kick one of the wired and disconnected the fuel pump kill switch and that shut down the whole car while I was...

View more questions Search