Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    violet0019 Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Sep 26, 2005, 10:17 PM
    Help Please. Need Advice. Battery Dead Again... why?
    I have a 1993 Eagle Summit Wagon (van) only 55,000 km. (I basically drive it to the store and back! In the past, over the years, there have been some occasions when I left my lights on (by mistake) and the next day when I would go to start the car and would turn the key there would be absolutely NOTHING - no sound. So I would get a boost and the car would be fine. No problems. BUT THIS TIME - I DID NOT LEAVE ANY LIGHTS ON, THERE WAS NO APPARENT REASON WHEN - Yesterday, I went to start the car, and when I put the key in and turned it, there were 2 sounds like a CLICK, and then DEAD. I got a boost, and drove around for 15 minutes, parked the car for 1 hour, then started it and got home all right, BUT - every time I got to a red light, or stop sign, it felt as if the car was going to stop, so I very very slightly gave it a tiny bit of gas at each stop or red light, until I would be driving. It felt different, this time, not like a dead battery due to leaving the lights on. Any ideas? Why did my battery need a boost when I did not leave any lights on? Why did it feel as if it would conk out at each red light or stop, as if perhaps it was not getting enough gas getting through, or.. Today, I went to start the car, and :mad: :mad: , again, it clicked, but would NOT start.! I haven't had anyone to help me out to give me a boost, but I was just wondering, before I get a boost again, and need to go to the garage, what can I expect? Is my battery dead and needs replacing? Does this damp rainy weather have anything to do with it ( the car is parked outdoors, and here in Montreal it is now the end of summer... ) HELP! Any advice, suggestions, opinions would be greatly appreciated! THANKS.
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Sep 26, 2005, 11:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by violet0019
    I have a 1993 Eagle Summit Wagon (van) only 55,000 km. (I basically drive it to the store and back!! In the past, over the years, there have been some occasions when I left my lights on (by mistake) and the next day when I would go to start the car and would turn the key there would be absolutely NOTHING - no sound. So I would get a boost and the car would be fine. No problems. BUT THIS TIME - I DID NOT LEAVE ANY LIGHTS ON, THERE WAS NO APPARENT REASON WHEN - Yesterday, I went to start the car, and when I put the key in and turned it, there were 2 sounds like a CLICK, and then DEAD. I got a boost, and drove around for 15 minutes, parked the car for 1 hour, then started it and got home alright, BUT - every time I got to a red light, or stop sign, it felt as if the car was going to stop, so I very very slightly gave it a tiny bit of gas at each stop or red light, until I would be driving. It felt different, this time, not like a dead battery due to leaving the lights on. Any ideas? Why did my battery need a boost when I did not leave any lights on? Why did it feel as if it would conk out at each red light or stop, as if perhaps it was not getting enough gas getting through, or....? Today, I went to start the car, and :mad: :mad: , again, it clicked, but would NOT start.!! I haven't had anyone to help me out to give me a boost, but I was just wondering, before I get a boost again, and need to go to the garage, what can I expect? Is my battery dead and needs replacing? Does this damp rainy weather have anything to do with it ( the car is parked outdoors, and here in Montreal it is now the end of summer...) HELP!! Any advice, suggestions, opinions would be greatly appreciated! THANKS.
    The battery looks like it is completely dead and no amount of recharging is going to bring it back. If you had it for 50k, it may also be closed to its intended life. You may just need a new battery.

Sep 30, 2005, 10:04 PM
    Hurray! Battery Replaced
    Thanks for the reply... no it was not the original battery, the second one. But yesterday, I got the third one and HURRAY I am driving again!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2005, 10:30 PM
    Batteries don't last forever. Short trips and letting the car sit, are hard on them. Chances are you had to have the new battery. Give Baby a belly rub for me.

Oct 2, 2005, 08:01 AM
    Re:THE END of a Question... NOW WHAT?
    Can someone advise me as to how to close a question, which I posted, i.e. if I have received many replies and I am satisfied with all of them and no longer need any more advice? :o Is it this what members usually do on this site?
    Also, each time I receive a reply to a question I posted, I do not need to acknowledge and reply to every reply :confused:... right?! Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2005, 10:29 AM
    As far as I know, questions live forever here. Sometimes I see somebody new comes by and answers questions over a year old.

Once you have solved the problem, it is helpful to post back saying so. This assures everybody that they don't need to suggest alternatives. It is also a learning experience when somebody explains what did, or didn't work. Many times when somebody posts a question here, somebody with experience with that problem will quickly post a tried and true solution. Other times, the best anyone can do is suggest something from their general knowledge of the subject. If the original person then reports back success or failure, the person answering can use it in answering future questions.

After your post on buying the new battery, I only answered to assure you that you had to.

Oct 2, 2005, 08:16 PM
    Battery Replaced... thanks... the End!
    Just Wanted To Tell All Those Who Were So Kind To Help Me With Regards To My "battery Questions" - That I Had To Purchase A New One And Now It Feels Great! Thanks For All The Suggestions, And Instructions - (which I Actually Did Use, To Boost The Car). The End! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My civic 95 manual has dead battery? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi My car won't start starter doesn't run (dosent emit sound) but no batt light & how do I wire my other batt (an new one from a previous car) to boost it ? If that is the prob all lights are normal every thing is fine except that when I drive it (push started) some gauges freak out a litle &...

Is Ken Lay really dead? [ 12 Answers ]

It seems funny to me that Ken Lay would just die prior to serving 25 years in prison. Do you think that with his money, he could pull of faking his own death? Would it be possible for anyone with enough money to do that?:confused: I can just see him, Elvis and Jim Morrison in a huge Log cabin in...

Seeing dead? [ 5 Answers ]

Hiya all, I'm quite new to this, I'm going through a pretty hard time at the moment, one of my Aunty's son's died at the weekend, I'm pretty close to her. I went to see her and behind her, at a glance, I saw this man standing behind her with his hand on her shoulder. When I got home I mentioned...

Instructions Needed On How To Properly Use Booster Cables For Dead Car Battery [ 3 Answers ]

HELP! I am embarressed to say, that I DO NOT know how to use my Booster Cables to boost a dead battery in my car. :( I have in the past been nervous of getting an electric shock! That was then, and now I no longer want to be IGNORANT! :D Can someone please tell me, with very EASY SIMPLE...

Battery goes dead [ 1 Answers ]

My battery goes dead over night when I leave the + wire on checked over all wires can't find anything the battery works fine in my other truck can leave it for a week no problems can't figure this one out

View more questions Search