Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jms64 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 12:25 PM
    Craftsman tractor is slow
    15.5 hp. Only is using 4 gears out of 6. what is wrong?
    cpalmist Posts: 137, Reputation: 32

Sep 18, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Need more information that this? Hilly? Age and condition? Been repaired before? Just got your learner's permit? Traveling to Idaho by Lawnmower to see your old brother before either of you die? WHut?
    cpalmist Posts: 137, Reputation: 32

Sep 18, 2007, 08:23 PM
    I don't know much about that model. If not a hydralic transmission (some are) then I would be gettting some oil change ramps and driving it up on them as far as it will go to check out the idler pulleys and the condition of the drive belt(s). Chains stretch, not a lot, but they do. Belting material stretches and wears, a lot and they do. Your idler pulley bearings/springs may be shot or stretched. Since you're saying the loss has been gradual, I'd look to these causes first.
    I'm pretty sure you've checked the transmission fluid and the connections as well.

Wish you the best on this - doesn't sound expensive to fix yet so you've got a good chance of a cheap fix.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman tractor repair [ 8 Answers ]

I am repairing a craftsman 12.5 hp tractor.. I have installed a new battery,spark plug,drained gas tank, put on a new fuel filter, and cleaned the carburater... still won't start... please help me out... by the way this tractor is 12 yr. old

Craftsman Lawn Tractor [ 3 Answers ]

How do I remove the blade carriage from the bottom of the mower?

Craftsman 16.5 Lawn Tractor [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently replaced the mower clutch cable on my 16.5 HP Craftsman LT1000 lawn tractor with a 42" deck. After doing so, the transmission to the tractor will not engage. All the belts seem to be in place. I did not replace the clutch carriage bolt yet, as indicated by the instructions, after...

View more questions Search