Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Helpful Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2007, 05:43 PM
    1981 GMC pick-up won't start, already replaced starter
    My 1981 GMC pick-up won't turn over, even after the starter was replaced.

I will be buying a new battery on Monday but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what else it might be?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2007, 06:58 PM
    . Test all under-hood and under-dash fuses with a test light or multimeter. Here's how:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

Be sure to also check for a fusible link in the wire going to the starter solenoid, or a mega fuse at the end of the under-hood fuse box, that may have blown.

. If that doesn't solve the problem, the link below should help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235560
    IGOTCHOBAC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2012, 08:32 PM
    I have a 92 chevy 1500 4.3 pick up, 5 speed transmission won't start, i change the battery and a new starter still won't do any thing, ihave to push start with clutch to fire, what elese can i check.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2012, 08:50 PM
    "Car (Starter Motor) Won't Crank"

. Ensure the battery is fully charged, before diagnosing starter problems.
    . Test all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter.
    . Ensure the gearshift is in Neutral or Park (automatic transmission), or the clutch pedal is depressed (manual transmission), if the starter motor does not turn at all when the ignition switch is turned to Start.

1. If the starter motor doesn't turn, but the starter solenoid (relay) "clicks" when the ignition switch is turned to Start, the problem is with the battery, starter solenoid, or starter motor connections.

2. Disconnecting the negative battery cable first, clean battery terminals and cable connections with a battery terminal brush, No. 240 abrasive cloth, or steel wool. Also, check the battery ground cable connection to the body and engine. Apply silicone dielectric grease, when finished.

3. While the negative battery cable is disconnected, clean starter motor and starter solenoid connections. Apply silicone dielectric grease, when finished. Make sure all connections are secure. When installing the starter cable, make sure that the crimped side of the ring terminal is facing out. Reconnect the negative battery terminal last.

4. If the starter motor spins but the engine is not cranking, the overrunning clutch in the starter motor is slipping and the starter motor must be replaced. Also, the ring gear on the flywheel or drive plate may be worn.

5. If the solenoid plunger cannot be heard when the switch is actuated, the battery is bad, the fusible link is burned (circuit is open), or the solenoid is defective.

6. In order to check the solenoid, put the transmission in Park and remove the push-on connector from the solenoid “S” terminal. Connect a jumper lead (12 AWG), or preferably a remote starter switch, between the positive battery terminal and the exposed “S” terminal on the solenoid. If the starter motor now operates, the solenoid is fine and the problem is with the ignition switch, neutral start switch, or wiring. If the starter motor still does not operate, replace the solenoid.

7. If the starter motor cranks the engine slowly, ensure the battery is fully charged and all terminal connections are clean and tight. Then, check connections at the starter solenoid and battery ground. The engine will also crank slowly, if it’s partially seized or has the wrong viscosity oil in it. Synthetic engine oil allows starter motors to turn the engine over easier and faster, thus promoting starting and reducing battery drain.

Nerdy Bonus:

Ohm's Law states Amperage = Volts/Resistance. As resistance (Ω) doubles, amperage is cut in half. Resistance is increased by corrosion, smaller cable size, poor cable material, and heat. Electric motors (e.g. starter motor armatures) will have greater impedance and generate less torque when they are hot.

Taking this a step further, focus on corrosion and cable size. Smaller cables and corrosion greatly reduce the effective cross-sectional area of grounds. Based on the formula Area of a Circle = Pi x R-squared, as the effective cross-sectional area of a cable gets cut in half, the resistance goes up four fold. This means that the amperage available to the starter motor would be 1/4 of what it would be otherwise, when you plug these values into Ohm's Law. That's why all of these factors influence starter motor performance, especially when they are failing.

WARNING: Do not jump a modern-day car. It's easy for a voltage spike to damage the ECM, alternator, and sensors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1990 chevy pick-up NO START [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 90 chevy Scottsdale 1500. 130000 miles It is running a 350 with throttle body injection. One day just quit. Brought it home and it started, lot of black smoke. Found 2 codes on the computer, O2 sensor (found broke) and temp switch (below -27 for 30 seconds at start-up). Changed the...

1996 GMC PU w/V6 and manual trans (wont start) [ 2 Answers ]

Intermittant "won't start" problems. I have replaced the crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, fuel pump (twice), plugs and plug wires and fuel filter. There are no codes when I scan the computer and the truck runs fine when it does start. The truck has 179,000 miles on it and is in great...

1996 GMC Pick up V6 Engine [ 1 Answers ]

On the compression stroke, are the intake and the exhaust valve closed at top dead center?

Timing in 1196 GMC pick up V6 vortek engine [ 1 Answers ]

TXgreasemonkey gave me an answer (thanks) but I'm still have problems. I'm lining up the timing chain sprocket and crank shaft sprocket. The are lined up dot to dot - the timing chain is at 6:00 and the crank shaft is at 12:00. The #1 piston is at top dead center. When I install the...

98 GMC won't start, not getting gas [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1998 gmc 4x4 5.7 at. Its been getting harder & harder to start, but went it started it would run great and restart that day. Today it didn't start, so the fuel pump is making nois so that is working, put a new fuel filter on, no help, so I put some gas in the throttle body and it started...

View more questions Search