Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jopelt Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2007, 09:08 AM
    Murray 2004 17.5 riding mower w B/S engine
    I can not get my mower to start. I have replaced solenoid and starter. Even when I jump directly to starter it will not turn over. Anyone have any ideas?
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2007, 03:55 PM
    Yes, I Have An Idea,
    First, Take Your Hand A Place It On Top Of The Engine Screen, Try And Rotate The Engine In A Counter-clockwise Rotation. Your Starter Gear May Be Engaged And Not Able To Turn. You May Also Use A 1/4" Socket And Remove The Two Screws Holding The Starter Dust Cover On And Visually Inspect The Top Of The Starter. If It Is Not Engaged, There May Be Deeper Problems.

Second, Remove Spark Plug(s) , Stand Clear And Try And Get The Engine To Turn Over. The Problem Could Be That The Cylinder Is Full Of Fuel. If It Shoots Fuel Out Of The Spark Plug Hole, Turn Engine Over Until It Stops Shooting Fuel Out, Reinstall Spark Plug(s) , Crank Engine, Let Run For About Two To Three Minutes To Heat Oil And Get Any Particles Floating Around In The Oil And Immediately Change The Oil And Filter If Applicable. If This Was The Problem Purchase An In-line Fuel Line Shutoff Valve And Use Religiously.
    Let Me Know What You Find.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old Murray riding mower [ 8 Answers ]

I bought an old Murray riding mower last year. I'm not sure what year it is, but here is my problem: One of the rear tires has a flat, instead of loading up the whole mower in the back of the truck, I wouldm like to remove the wheel. I removed the holding pin and the washer from the outside of the...

Murray riding mower [ 3 Answers ]

I have a murray riding mower that I have replaced the solinoid and the starting switch but I still get no power to the starter. I can hot wire the starter and it will crank so there must be a problem somewher in the wires??

Removing engine on murray riding mower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Murray riding mower. The engine was vibrating and it took me awhile but found two screws missing. I put two back in but engine still vibrate. Further investigation showed that the holes in the engine plate had reemed out and the screws were not holding the engine steady. My question: I...

Murray Riding Mower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a murray riding mower that I purchased in August of 1991. Apparently I need a new transaxle because it will not go in gear at all. The part # in the book is Dana model 4450-1 which I have been unable to locate, the only reference I have come across for the part says that it has been...

View more questions Search