Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harley45 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2009, 04:51 AM
    14.5 engines cuts out
    I have a MTD rider with a 14.5 B&S engine. When I mow downhill, or when the left side is lower than the right the engine slows and sometimes backfires. It runs okay on level ground or tilted lower on the right side. What causes this? Just sprayed carb abd put on new fuel filter. Didn't stop problem.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2009, 05:06 AM

In the carb is a needle and seat valve that works off the bowls float. This is where I would start. Just spraying the carb or even the bowl and float sometimes isn't enough.

Remove fuel line and spray the seat valve and needle valve that goes in the seat.

Your problems leads all to not enough gas in the carb bowl and when it leans the carb is starving for more fuel

If seat and needle valve are working correctly and the float is set properly and free to work it should be fine. If not then a weak fuel pump may be an issue

If I had your engines

Model
    Type
    Code
    I may be able to get you the factory specs on the carb adjustments.

May 9, 2009, 05:15 AM
    Thanks 21. I will try your advice and hope it works. With 2 in college and cut pay and hours I cannot afford to pay for pro repair so I especially appreciate your help.

May 9, 2009, 05:18 AM

Model 287707
    Type 1210-E-1
    0008029ZD
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2009, 12:21 PM

I found your manual for that engine and you can check/adujust the carb adjustments in needed.

Also I'm adding the "parts" list manual to cross reference the location of adjustments and the blowout to know what's what.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/mai...75038_-_LO.pdf

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/mai...=MS2719_LO.pdf

Part #105 is your gas needle and part # 106 is the needle seat. #387 is the fuel pump.

Those three items plus the float is basically the whole fuel in bowl to run engine.

You can get kits for the carb. This is a DIY project. Let me know how it goes.

May 9, 2009, 02:33 PM

Thank you very much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Small engines [ 1 Answers ]

How do I adjust a overhead valve for a 15.5 briggs and stratton engine?

1992 civic cuts out while driving and starts after a little while then cuts out [ 14 Answers ]

I have a 1992 civic and recently it just started cutting out while driving. The first day I was ready to get onto the freeway and it just cut out. It started again after a while and was okay getting home. It ran a little rough but made it home. The next day it was fine on the way to work but coming...

Cooling engines [ 2 Answers ]

Why do most vehicles use water to keep cool when oil would prevent rust and not evaporate?

View more questions Search