Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daviscd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2009, 04:03 PM
    14sb lawnmower
    How do you put the spring back on after you have replaced the drive belt on your 14sb mower?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

May 8, 2009, 03:06 PM

Hi,
    Which spring. Have worked on hundreds of that model. Was the clutch fun? I think you meant that spring, so I will go ahead!
    Firstly, you do not need to remove all the bolts, just the front ones and the back one with the clutch stay. The best thing to do then, after the belt is on is to reach under the mower and start the front bolts with the mower on its wheels(flat on the ground.) Raise the height settings if necessary. Just start them 3 or 4 turns. Now you can cock the mower over with handle down(many ways to do that) and install the BBC. It will move freely and allow you to attach the BBC spring on the hook(BBC first, hook second; no need to ever detach the hook!) Now you have a loose engine(three out of four loose bolts) a spring attached(loose enough to fall off, they have for me) and you ready to finish up.
    Hook up the BBC cable and physically pull the arm toward the rear of the machine. This will move the clutch stay to the rear and allow you to line up the fourth bolt, spacer and washer, and put them in. Spring will now be under tension. Just tighten your bolts, adjust anything else and you are done.
    I have been a Deere mechanic, but thank David Hughes(another Deere mechanic) for teaching me some of these tricks. I worked with him for a number of years and he "loved" the old 14SBs.
    Hope it was clear!
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawnmower Help [ 10 Answers ]

My lawnmower, Murray Select w/Briggs?Stratton engine, will start but will not get up to speed. It only putt-putts and kicks out a lot of smoke. Any suggestions?

John deere 14SB belt replacement [ 3 Answers ]

The drive belt on my jd 14sb mower broke and from what I've read in other threads, it seems I need to pull the engine to replace belt. If so, any (or all) "how to" help and pitfalls to look out for would be appreciated. Thanks

Lawnmower do not run [ 5 Answers ]

Purchased refurbished 21" briggs stratton push mower yestrday at home depot, prime mower, runs for 5 seconds then dies, prime, run again, die out, what should I loook for Txs steph

Drive belt on a John Deere lawnmower 14SB [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to change the drive belt for this lawnmower? It would be greratly apprciated.

I put too much oil in my new B&S lawnmower [ 3 Answers ]

:mad: Being new to this whole lawn care thing after recently firing my gardener, I did something stupid. This morning was the 2nd time I attempted mowing. I started it up and did half the lawn and the mower started sputtering a little and ended up dying and when I tried to start it back up there...

View more questions Search