Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    canIfixit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2007, 07:54 PM
    MTD 42" mower deck belt
    I'm trying to put a deck belt on a 42" MTD, 14.5 hp. All the numbers on the labels are worn off so I cannot get an owners manual or schematic. We have dropped the deck down and have gotten the belt on 2 pulleys, (there are 3) but it appears short and will not go on the other pulley. I took the old belt in to Tractor Supply and they measured and gave me the correct size. Is there some tension adjustment for this or something? Thanks for ANY help you can give me.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Make sure the blade engagement handle is in the "disengaged" position. If you are working on the two deck belts themselves, you may need to remove a spring, get the slack needed and put the belt on.
    Note***
    Trick to remove and install springs, first use eye protection.
    Then use a piece of small pull starter rope cord and run a loop
    Around the hook on the spring, you can pull the spring open further
    This way for putting on, or removing the spring.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 25, 2007, 05:49 PM
    Try this site and go to customer service for a manual. MTD Corporate :: About MTD Products I would only use OEM belts but I am fairly sure you have at least 4 pulleys for your deck. Normally two more pulleys than the number of blades. The extra pulleys are an idler and a spring loaded tensioner that does have some adjustment. You should not have to remove the springs if you get the right belt from the start. Belt and configuration are usually a decal on the deck but that could have worn away by now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MTD 16/46 Deck Belt [ 9 Answers ]

Does anyone have a picture that they shows how the belt is routed on the deck for an MTD 16/46 model number 130675H302? The belt broke and I need to replace it. Thank you

Mower deck belt loose [ 3 Answers ]

Please help I have JD 60" med mount mower deck I can't keep the drive belt on I place new belt on and same problem any way to adjust the belt?

Belt routing on mower deck [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Troybuilt 46 inch, 22 h.p. mulcher GT, petal drive with cruise control. The long belt on the mower deck continues to break. I need a diagram of belt routing and also location of spring on tension pulley. This belt is 98", but I have been using a 96" A belt because it is wider and thought...

MTD deck belt replacement how to [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. I have got a problem with the deck belt on MTD Model 14AS84AH062. I have a new replacement belt but the problem is, I did'nt see how it was before it broke. At the end of the one side there is a thing that has a thin cable running from it, and I can't seem to understand were that has to...

View more questions Search