Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vaibhav Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2006, 03:02 AM
    How to find out if hard disk was removed
    HI,
    I want to find out whether a hard disk of my computer was removed and taken out for some time.
    Is there some kind of log inside the computer?
    How to find it :
    Where is it stored?
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Apr 12, 2006, 03:37 AM
    How many hard drives do you have in your system? Are you referring to the hard disk that your operating system is running from? Which operating system do you use? Can you be more specific about what you think happened in order for us to provide better help?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 12, 2006, 06:06 AM
    The basic answer is no. There is no log that would indicate whether a drive was removed from a system. Nothing is recorded by the system when its powered off.

What makes you think the drive might have been removed?
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Apr 12, 2006, 08:15 AM
    I've seen some older HP/Compaq desktop PC models that included a "case intrusion" alarm in the BIOS. It's certainly not a common feature, but if the system did have it, I know I've seen it in the BIOS.

This would not tell you if the hard drive was removed, only that someone had opened the case on a particular date and time and triggerred the case intrusion switch.

I've only seen servers come with detailed hardware monitoring and logging built into their firmware that tells you when items were added, removed, or modified.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Formatting the Hard disk [ 7 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a harddisk of 80GB pre installed with Win98 SE. The hard disk is not partitioned and the entire disk is being used as a whole. I would like to create the partitions for the harddisk of 8GB each. But I heard that the standard FDisk option would not be suitable to format...

Hard disk problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hai, This is sandeep kumar. I am having problem with my hard disk which is seagate. Till day before yesterday it was working fine. But today it is not even detecting. I am in confusion what to do. I don't know what may be the problem in tha disk. So can you please suggest me what may be the...

100% CPU usage due to a new hard disk,please help me [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a new hard disk in my notebook as my older one got a failure.There is windows xp professional in the new one.The dilemma is that it is taking too much time to get started,almost 15 minutes.And also,after getting started,my notebook is working very slowly.Task manager is showing 100% CPU...

Hard Disk - Bad Clusters [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All I was getting physical problem in my hard disk C: drive, on scanning I got 11 bad clusters , also it was mentioned that from now onwards these bad clusters will not be used for data storage . Now I want to upgrade to WIN XP from 98 , so please tell me what should I do for that, and...

Hard disk problem [ 6 Answers ]

My computer has two hard drives, they are both detected and accessible via device manager but the second hard drive does not show up as a separate drive in my computer i.e.. As drive /:E so I can not load data on to it. How can I get to show as a separate drive.

View more questions Search