Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    themanonthebus Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2009, 09:05 AM
    11hp Briggs and Stratton exhaust valve doesn't close
    Hi team, while mowing a field on my sit-on yardman as you Yanks call it, it cut out & stopped. The engine will turn over but there is no compression. I took the cylinder head off & turned the engine through the stroke. It is clear that the sooted intake valve opens and closes perfectly but the clean but pink-coated (with a rusty texture but NOT rust!) exhaust moves in and out but doesn't fully close shut.

Any ideas or pointers?

Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2009, 10:17 AM

First two. Bent valve out out of adjustment. The bent valve would hang up in the valve guide.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Nov 11, 2009, 10:25 AM

Hi,
    You have a decent description of the problem. Some form of obstruction is possible. I also gather the this is a valve-in-block engine which can have the exhaust seats come loose from the blocks.
    If you could provide the engine numbers, I could be more certain what to say.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Nov 11, 2009, 11:05 AM

Engine number is

MODEL TYPE CODE
    252707 0710 01 87120311

Nov 11, 2009, 02:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    hi,
    you have a decent description of the problem. Some form of obstruction is possible. I also gather the this is a valve-in-block engine which can have the exhaust seats come loose from the blocks.
    If you could provide the engine numbers, i could be more certain what to say.
    Peace,
    clarke
    Model type code
    252707 0710 01 87120311

Nov 11, 2009, 02:37 PM

Hi,
    Yours is a 25 cu. in. engine manufactured on December 3, 1987. It is indeed a valve in block engine. To check the valve, you will need to remove the air cleaner, then the carb and finally the breather cover that is behind the carb. With the valve as closed as it gets, take a screwdriver and push/twist the spring keeper to release it. The valve should be removeable and can be checked for trueness by clamping the stem in a drill and turning it at slow speed to check for wobble. The seat can be checking with fingertips by trying to remove it, or by eye for crookedness.
    My guess is that the seat has come loose in the block.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Nov 12, 2009, 04:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    Yours is a 25 cu. in. engine manufactured on December 3, 1987. It is indeed a valve in block engine. To check the valve, you will need to remove the air cleaner, then the carb and finally the breather cover that is behind the carb. With the valve as closed as it gets, take a screwdriver and push/twist the spring keeper to release it. The valve should be removeable and can be checked for trueness by clamping the stem in a drill and turning it at slow speed to check for wobble. The seat can be checking with fingertips by trying to remove it, or by eye for crookedness.
    My guess is that the seat has come loose in the block.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Hi Crigby,

... I did as you suggested & took the componenets off and after initial inspection can see that the push-rod that drives the valve from the main crankshaft isn't returning as far as it should into the casing. See...

Valve Problem on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

For confirmation of the part I'm referring too. When I compare to the inlet push-rod I can see the original mark of oily deposits are approx 1/8inch advanced further towards the spring, as if the part in the crankcase if pushing it further out than it should. Does this make sense?. any ideas or a complete strip down?

Nov 12, 2009, 11:28 AM

Hi,
    Yes, it sounds as if you will need to explore it internally. It is rare that a tappet would seize and the cam should not be composite, but something seems to be going on with the cam. On very rare occasions I have seen them split in two.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Nov 20, 2009, 10:20 AM
    Hey Clarke -

I inspected the valves & push-rods again. I've realised I can manually push the pushrods back into their casing and that indeed, something is causing the exhaust valve to 'stick' open. The spring doesn't have the power to close it shut so it could quite simply be a bent valve stem sticking in the casing.

I've had the screwdrive out & have managed to release the inlet valve spring but the exhaust spring seems to be a whole lot more complicated - any clues as to how to release it?!

Charlie

Nov 20, 2009, 12:45 PM

Hello again Clarke!

... so valves & springs are all out. I've tested them in a drill & while there is some minor movement its hard to tell weather its coming from the valve or the drill itself. I did the same with the inlet valve & its about the same!

What's the best way of cleaning eveything up so I know its not general grime & dirt?

Charlie

Nov 21, 2009, 08:26 AM

Hi,
    I am guessing you may have had those two semi-circular keepers on the exhaust.
    At any rate go to an automotive parts supplier and get some valve lapping compound. If they ask whether you want the water or grease-based, it is the latter.
    Put a dab on the valve's sealing surface and put in against the seat and spin back and forth occasionally pulling it out a bit and turning a bit and putting back in to make the distribution more uniform. DO NOT get the compound on the stem or anywhere other than the valve's sealing bevel or the valve seat!
    When you are done, there should be a uniform fresh gray ring all the way around the valve that is about 3/32" in width and the seat should be uniformly gray around the sealing area of it. A black spot will be evident on the seat if it is no longer able to seal without cutting.
    Cutting will require access to a Anyway cutter, 30 degree on the intake and 45 degree on the exhaust.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OIL change 11Hp Briggs and Stratton Engine [ 3 Answers ]

I have drained my oil and I don't know what type of oil I should fill it up with or how much it has no meter on it. Engine is 11h/ 3600 rpm Model:252707 Type 0620 01 Code 86080511 It says saej607 on cover is that it?

11HP Briggs and Stratton, gas blowing out the carb! [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a Briggs and Stratton 11 HP L head (horizontal) on a mower I'm trying to fix. When I check the valve clearance at 1/4" past TDC I have the correct clearance .007 (aluminum block), however, during the ENTIRE compression stroke, the intake valve is open a few hundreths and it's blowing...

Briggs And Stratton 11hp won't start ride on mower [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Im rebuilding a COX ride on mower With a 11hp Briggs And Stratton Engine on it. The Engine will not start. This is what I've done: Clean the carby All is fine and is in good working order, Took the head off all valves and piston work and are not damaged, Has a great spark, Fuel line is...

Broken exhaust valve in 14.5 Briggs and Stratton [ 1 Answers ]

Exhaust valve broke on my murray. Nothing appears to be harmed, only one little ding in top of head where it hit. Can I just replace it with a new one or will it have to be lapped in at a machine shop to work right. Also, what are the valve clearance settings on a Briggs 14.5 with overhead valves.

View more questions Search