Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sean172 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2007, 08:34 AM
    B&S 13.5 OHV backfiring through carb, no power
    I have a 13.5 hp Briggs & Stratton riding mower, it lost almost power and backfires fiercely through the carb at any rev above an idle. I have already replace the head, flywheel key, cleaned out the carb and bypassed the fuel filter. It may have overheated due to a mouse nest found under the cowl. I have a new magneto/coil on order.
    What can I do!! :mad:
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Check The Valves.

Aug 5, 2007, 01:15 PM
    Valves themselves are new with the new head, they are adjusted according to the manual.
    wutafuta Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 01:32 PM
    What clearance do you have the valves set? I know you said according to the manual... but I have found a manual to wrong in the past.

Aug 6, 2007, 02:45 PM
    The book says .004 to .006 , I think I used .005, is that correct?
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Yes, The Reason For Using .005 Is To Stay Within The Tolerance Range .
    .004 To .006 Is The Tolerance Range. Therefore, 005 Is Great!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & Stratton 14.5 HP OHV No Compression [ 3 Answers ]

My Riding mower has an 8 year old Briggs & Stratton 14.5 HP OHV Engine. Engine always maintained properly and has run well. While mowing, engine ran well for an hour and then suddenly quit for a split second, and backfired as it came back to life. I continued to mow and it did it again, the third...

Briggs & Stratton 16.5 OHV [ 19 Answers ]

I have a B&S 16.5 OHV MTD Yardman that will not turn over even though the starter and battery are OK. It will turn to a point and then stops. If I remove the spark plug it turns freely like it should. I know that removes the pressure in the cylinder but I don't know what could cause it to bind...

Gasoline in oil of B&S 14.5 HP OHV Engine [ 1 Answers ]

I am working on another B&S 14.5HP OHV engine and I went to drain the oil and gasoline had gotten into the engine block. Any suggestions on how this happened and what can be done to fix the problem. Thanks.

Carb tuning a 12hp Briggs (non-OHV) [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new member who recently purchased a used Montgomery Wards riding mower (serial no.TMC 36937A/K219H). The mower had recently been painted- over red (poorly), so the ser. no. could be slightly off. I am experiencing difficulties in properly tuning the carb (i.e. the governor is kicking in @...

View more questions Search