I have a Briggs and Stratton 16HP V-Twin OHV Vanguard Engine I am repairing. I am trying to replace the starter motor. . The bendix of the starter motor is plastic and has broken teeth and therefore does not engage with the main flywheel anymore.

In order to accomplish this task I have stripped the top of the engine down to the main flywheel. This is the only way I can see to gain access to allow one to replace the starter motor.

I have removed the bolt holding the horizontal flywheel in position but am unable to pull it upwards and clear of the spindle. I can only assume the wheel is sitting on a tapered vertical shaft and that it is a neat fit. I have tried to pull it off without success. I cannot understand why it will not come loose. Can anyone suggest how this comes off if at all or is thwere a better way?