Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Evil dead Posts: 116, Reputation: -5

Mar 5, 2007, 02:27 PM
    Vertical motion
    Here's the question:

A rocket is launched vertically. For the first 6 s it accelerates 150ms-2.

a) calculate it's speed at the end of this time, and the distance covered.

b) the rocket continues it's flight acted upon only by gravioty. Calculate how long it takes to reach the top of it's flight and the further distance covered.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a) basically what I did here, to find the speed of it, I multiplied the acceleration by the seconds. Increases speed every 6 seconds so, end velocity = 900ms-1. The problem I have here is that I did not consider gravity (-9.81 since the rocket is moving upwards).

distance covered = some random equation = 2,700m...

b) what I did here was wrong... so wrong...

Help please
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 02:35 PM
    a) if you think you should take gravity into account that's easy, total acc. Upwards is 150-9.8, do the same as you did.

equation for distance = s = ut+0.5at^2

b) should be simple suvat equations here too

v^2 = u^2 + 2as? Yeah that'll do it.

and for time s = 0.5(u+v)t
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Mar 5, 2007, 02:41 PM
    For part a), you don't need to worry about gravity... since it's accelerating at a certain rate, the effect of gravity should already be handled. Acceleration is the net effect of all forces acting on an object. 2700 is the correct answer for that.

For b), once the rocket stops accelerating, you have it continuing upwards until v = 0. This continues for v/a seconds. That will give you the time, and you already have the start and end velocities.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please Help Me With My Vertical Jump [ 10 Answers ]

OK so here's how it goes. I'm a 13 year old male. I'm 5' 7" tall. I have a 19" vertical jump. I play basketball and do track (highjumping, longjump , sprints). My goal is to at very least touch the rim by next basketball season. I know I am capable of doing this so I was just wondering...

Higher Vertical Jump [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to increse my vertical leap. I'm 13 and I'm only 5'0. I'm pretty good for my height. Well, anyway, I think it would really help out my game if I could grab more boards and play better defense. How can I increase my leap?

Need motion in opposition to defendants motion for summary judgement & TO STOP Thief [ 5 Answers ]

Good day all,received a motion in the mail "plaintiff's motion for default judgement as to defendents xxxxxx,xxxxxx,xxxxxx, and judgement on the pledings as to defendant xxxxxxx (state gov agency that sold the tax deed ) this case is about a overlooked tax lein sold against my grandmothers house ...

Vertical siding [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm interested in re-siding my house with vertical siding, but was wondering if anyone knows of a supplier that makes it in lenghths of about 25ft so that I can do the whole of the house in one run? Otherwise I'll have to do it in sections 12 ft high and run a j channel across, but I'd...

Vertical distance to trap [ 3 Answers ]

I'm installing a basement shower. When the house was built 2 years ago, it was pre-roughed, with a plastic cover over the hole where the drain will be. I was surprised after opening up and removing some dirt that the 2" horizontal drain line is so deep - it is 12-1/4 inches from the top of the...

View more questions Search