Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    neldar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 03:14 PM
    Connecting converter box to analog TV
    I am trying to connect anything to my TV, but nothing is connecting with it. I have an analog TV, a vcr/dvd unit, a vcr unit, and a converter box. I am on an outside antenna and tried to connect the converter box. It will not show up on channel 3. Then I tried connecting the vcr/dvd unit, but it will not show on channel 3. In our area, channel 4 is a station, so 3 is my only possibility. At one time, the dvd/vcr unit was connected to the TV and worked great. I really need this TV to recognize something on channel 3. I am connecting a coaxial cable from the outside antenna to the converter box and then a coaxial cable to the TV, but nothing. I also tried connecting the dvd/vcr unit to the TV through RCA cables, again, nothing. Anyone that can help me, I would appreciate it.
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

Jan 1, 2009, 01:50 AM

Features vary on VCRs. Some need to be turned on to relay a signal from an antenna or converter box to the TV.

For most purposes of this discussion VCRs and VCR/DVD player combo units are the same. Since the VCR duplicates one of the functions of the VCR/DVD combo, you may want to use the VCR with another TV or store it in the event you will need it later.

If the connection between the converter box and the VCR is an RF connection (coax) the VCR will need to be turned on AND tuned to the channel the converter output is set to. With the converter connected to the VCR you shouldn't need to change the channel on the VCR any more.

If the connection between the converter and VCR is through a stereo audio cable (usually red and white connections) AND a composite video cable (usually a single yellow connection) you will have to set the VCR for the composite video connection. Once this setting is made you shouldn't need to change it. Sometimes the stereo and composite cables are combined into a single cable with three connectors on both ends. The cable ends are usually color coded to match the jacks on the equipment.

Similar principles apply to the connection between the TV and the VCR.

Procedures for selecting the signal source aren't standardized. With some equipment you may have to press a remote control button marked "Input". For some others you might be able to press a combination of numbers similar to entering a channel number on the remote.

If a VCR needs the converter to record or receive a digital channel you will no linger have the ability to watch a different channel than the one you are recording unless you acquire two converters, one converter connected to the VCR and the other converter connected directly to the TV.

Many late model consumer electronics equipment have connection diagrams in their owner's manual. If the consumer has difficulty locating manuals, some manufacturers make manuals for SOME models available on their web sites.

Since the signals traveling through coax cables are well shielded from the outside environment, if the VCR or converter can only be configured to generate an output signal on the same frequency as one of you region's TVs station the duplication may be of no consequence. In many cases the numerical channel number of digital television broadcasters has nothing to do with the station's actual transmitter frequency anyway.

If your reception on analog TV stations is snowy you might need a better antenna or replace old cables that are suffering from deteriorated insulation, moisture in the connections, too many splitters (you may need an amplifier is this is a problem), or corroded metal connectors. If your analog signal suffered from ghosting (faint duplicate images to the side of strong images) you may need a more directional antenna. With digital TV weak signals don't get snowy or show ghosting, they hesitate, go completely black briefly or break up into colored boxes. If the signal is weak enough the converter may not display the program or the accompanying audio at all (still might be able to transmit the various on screen menus and channel indicators).

Play a tape to verify the connections and any settings between the VCR and the TV.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2009, 05:22 AM

Don't force channel 3. If the instructions say 5, use channel 4.

You need to first to be able to access the SETUP MENU.

Once there, it's likely that the converter box will have to scan for available channels.

A reminder that the converter box will need a string signal. Digital TV suffers from what's called the cliff effect. It's all or nothing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting DVD/VCR to TV through HD converter [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to connect a Zenith DVD/VCR to the TV through a Motorola HD converter. I've got regular programming on the TV. The Zenith unit appears to be responding but it doesn't send a picture to the TV. I've tried channels 3 and 4 but can't get a set-up screen on the TV. My old VCR had 2 hook-ups...

DTV Digital to analog converter [ 1 Answers ]

I apologize for any confusion I gave about the boxes. On the box it saids Magnavox TB100MW9. DTV Digital to analog converter.. Receives digital over the air signals on your analog TV. SDTV Tuner Watch free digital TV programs with your analog TV. We were going to stop using cable when I...

Digital to analog converter box & connections [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I need assistance with help in setting up the digital to analog converter box with my TV, dvd player and dvd recorder and my vcr's. One set includes a TV with only the one antenna in connection, vcr and dvd player. My other set includes a slightly newer TV that has the one antenna in...

Analog x [ 1 Answers ]

I have networking with 10 PC .with server all can access internet,but clients can not open secure site whereus server can access

DVI vs analog [ 5 Answers ]

Hey, I really appreciated all the information on flat panel monitors I received yesterday, THANKS! I have another question concerning my video card. I am pretty sure that my current nvidia geforce2 mx/mx 400 is analog, it has 2 connections only, one is s-video and the other one is connected to my...

View more questions Search