Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 21, 2007, 06:03 AM
    Emerson A/C no fan
    I have an Emerson A/C slider model. Its around 3 years old. It was working earlier this summer but when I returned from vacation and turned it on, the compressor seems to run, but I don't get any air coming out. Even if I just put it on fan no air comes out though the unit hums.

My question is whether it would be worth calling in a service on this. I doubt if its still under warranty. I wonder if I would be better off just replacing it. The room its supposed to cool is small (11'x11') so I don't need a very powerful unit. But because of the slider windows, I'm constrained to either a slider type or having a through the wall installation.

Suggestions?
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2007, 06:15 AM
    Check the capacitor and the fan motor. If the fan motor hums,the cap is bad. Cheap and easy fix. Also, if the fan collect a lot of dust etc, it gets to heavy to start.Should clean unit every year. Goon luck and post back with results as it could help others

Jun 21, 2007, 06:18 AM
    Ok Doug, as machanically inclined as I am I might be able to handle that But I haven't a clue what or where the capacitor is, how to replace or even check it.

Can you give me some clues?
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2007, 06:32 AM
    Remove the unit from casing or window and get to the inside of unit. The cap will either be a round or oval silver looking. You will see 1 or2 wires connected to it going to the motor. Careful handling it as it will hold charge or several minutes after removinf power to it. May times a visual will tell if it's bad. I will be bulged at top or kind of "exploded" looking with oil on it. If passes the visual you can plug unit in and with a long handle screw driver or stick give the fan a spin. If it starts up, the cap is bad. Also check fan for dust and dirt. Should be a easy repair for you

Jun 21, 2007, 06:49 AM
    Well I'll give it a try, but taking it out of the window is going to be a job, I'll probably have to do it from the outside.
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2007, 06:59 AM
    Yes, that will be the hardest part of job. Get it out and troubleshooting will be easy. Keep posted. Most window units will slide out of case from inside and then the case for it remains in window. Won't yours do this?

Jun 21, 2007, 07:16 AM
    It might. I'll have to see (not home now). I think it's a Model 5JV53 or 8JV73. At least the pics I found for those models look right. The main problem is that one of my computer desks sits in front of the window making it hard to get at the window.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan remote control coverting to light/fan dimmer [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently remodeling my home and am coming across a major problem that NO ONE seems to have an answer for. I have two ceiling fans that operate via remote control. The rest of the ones in my home are the popular "pull down" chains - and those work prefectly with the new fan/light dimmers...

Remote Control for 25 Year Old Emerson Ceiling Fan [ 11 Answers ]

We have a 4-bladed Emerson ceiling fan that we really like. Nameplate info is: Catalog # CF756AB-0, Model # AC4156 and the date code indicates that the fan was manufactured some time in 1983. As I said, we like the fan so we brought it with us when we moved ~1997. We finally have an opportunity...

Hampton Bay Ceiling fan: fan speed pull chain [ 2 Answers ]

The pull chain controlling the fan speed snapped off inside the unit. How much disassembly is required to replace it?

Installed Ceiling Fan: Fan Works/Lights Quit Working [ 3 Answers ]

I successfully installed a Hampton ceiling fan about three maybe four years ago and it has worked just fine up until about 4 months ago when the lights would start going off and then sometimes come back on intermittently. Suspecting a loose connection, I removed the light housing and found that...

Emerson Motor Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I've read (most) of the similar questions about blower motor wiring, but haven't seen any that match my configuration. I have an Emerson 1/3hp, 3spd motor with the following wires: Red, blue, black, green (ground) direct from motor. White and brown go from motor to capacitor with black out of...

View more questions Search