Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelnurse33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 09:08 AM
    My kids need their mom.
    [F]A little over a year ago, I was involved in an abusive relationship. My ex husband took me to court and got primary custody of our kids because of that man. I have since put him in jail, gotten a restraining order on him, and moved to Pennsylvania. I am engaged to a wonder ful man that my kids really like. I pay my child support, I provide insurance as ordered, and I even provide dental and life insurance that I am not required to do. I speak with them at least 3-4 times a week, if my job hours permit me to. (I am a registered nurse) I am involved as much as I can be, considering that I am 1400 miles away. I am a very good mom that just got sucked into a bad situation.

Their dad is not a bad father. He does, however, leave them alone a lot at home while he works. They are 10 and 6yrs. He is a cowboy and goes to check cattle on horseback and is miles away from the house (that is 21miles from the closest town) and is usually in a pasture that has no cellular signal. So if something happens, they have to go to the nearest neighbor that is 5 miles away. Secondly, mostly anytime that I call, they are at the neighbors house (in the evening and through the night.) so that he can "go to town". He has even picked them up from the school bus drunk, and the bus driver (which is a friend of mine) wouldn't let him have them.

There is so much of that junk going on, I don't even have the time to explain. I just want to know what I need to do to get them back. My daughter doesn't need to be with him during puberty. I truly believe that the kids should be with their mom. Even if I have to move back to Texas. We are willing to do that. But the kids love it up here.

Any advice?
    Natalie
    mrsh Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 09:17 AM
    I think the first thing to do is move back to Texas. You can always move back to PA.
    louie1 Posts: 183, Reputation: 49

Mar 29, 2007, 02:27 PM
    Personally I would move back local to ensure that the children were safe, I would then proceed with court for full custody.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2007, 02:48 PM
    I am confused. You say this man is not a bad father but then you say he leaves them alone a lot while he works with the closest neighbour 5 miles away. You also say he leaves them with a neighbour most evenings and nights so he can go to town, and that he has picked them up from the school bus drunk. That doesn't sound like someone I would describe as: "... not a bad father..."

If he is leaving a 10 and 6 year old alone where the closest neighbour is 5 miles away then he should be reported. If he picks children up at a bus stop drunk he should be reported. If he is doing those things he is not a good father.

If he is indeed a good father, then you should be able to talk to him about your concerns. Either way, you need to determine what would honestly be best for the kids - to leave them where they are or to go through a custody battle. Then, if it's the latter, get a good lawyer to advise you.

I personally think that if you were with an abusive man, were taken to court by your ex and lost custody, got a restraining order against abuser, put him in jail and moved (congratulations for your strength, by the way!), then you met another man whom you are now engaged to and all this has happened in a little over a year... I really don't think you would be able to convince a judge that you are mature or stable enough to get the kids back at this time. That is an awfully short period to dump someone, move and meet someone else. I honestly think a judge would be quite wary of your situation.

No matter what, you need to put the kid's needs first. If you need to move back to Texas to do so, then you should. At least the kids might be able to be with you when daddy is working or going to town.

Good luck!

Didi
    derek1972 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2007, 03:32 PM
    I don't believe for a second that all kids should be with their mom. That is an excuse bad moms use when trying to make up later for their mistakes. If you truly love your kids then move back to Texas and try and become a part of their life instead of trying to move them 1800 miles away.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Aug 22, 2007, 09:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by derek1972
    I dont believe for a second that all kids should be with thier mom. That is an excuse bad moms use when trying to make up later for thier mistakes. If you truly love your kids then move back to Texas and try and become a part of thier life instead of trying to move them 1800 miles away.
    Very well said,Derek,VERY WELL!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mom and Step mom in hate! [ 6 Answers ]

My mom and step mom are not getting along. It all started with a stupid gift card! Out of all things. My card only had $3.45 on it and my brother only had $.19 on his. The cards were soposed to have $20.00 on it. My mom and step mom live one house away from each other and then they just get into...

Is my 5 year old son gifted or just a quick learner or is their a difference [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 5 year old son who picks up on things very quickly he has not started kindergarten yet he will start next year. He can count to 100 by ones and by 10's , he can count to 15 in Spanish he knows the oceans of the earth can spell his name his brothers name mommy daddy grandma and grandpa. ...

Help for Mom [ 2 Answers ]

My family seems to be going in three different directions when it comes to religion. Both my parents are Jewish, so I was raised Jewish but was baptized into the Lutheran church about 6 months ago. My father has explained his belief as that "an intelligent life force created the universe and then...

Things That wives do to make their husbands mad [ 2 Answers ]

Ok her is the question. Things that wives do to make husbands mad. 1. Hunny make some tea.(As the wife is 2 feet from the stove and your in another room or she calls you in from outside) 2. When she uses all the hot water 3. Her fav. Race car driver is Jeff Gordon (And yours is A Diff. racer)...

View more questions Search