Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kimmy718 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2010, 10:34 PM
    My 18 year old daughter, still in High School - OUT OF CONTROL HELP!
    Our daughter has just turned 18 years old, still in her Senior Year of High School. Mixed up with some new friends and a new boyfriend that graduated last year (no job, DUI - no driving privileges, confirmed smokes pot occasionally). We are at a loss as to what to do about this situation. She has started negative talk about school, wants her freedom and no one telling her what to do anymore. She leaves and stays out -claims she is staying at a friends house - just to avoid curfew. We are at a loss of what to do!
    XM8 Posts: 213, Reputation: 14

Nov 19, 2010, 01:52 AM

SLAP THE *****!

No just kidding lol. Well there's nothing you can really do except threaten to throw her out, that's what my mother tells me when I play up (I'm 18 too).

I guess I can understand what your daughter is feeling when talking about "freedom" and such? But that's just stupid, she should get done with school at the very least, and 18 or not - it's your job to help her through that, what she does after is her problem...
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2010, 03:24 PM

Try to keep communication open and instead of just talking, listen. Ask her what she likes about this guy and tell her you really want to understand. Ask her what she wants for her future. If you can engage her in talking openly about her feelings, you might be able to bring her around to making better decisions for herself. As an alternative you probably still have some financial authority over her - I assume she lives with you. Cut off the money and car and cell phone, etc. until she complies with house rules and pick your battles.

Not sure which approach I'd take - depends on your relationship and the kid's personality and willingness to be reasonable and talk.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2010, 04:00 PM

Honestly, not much you can do. Even if she is still in high school, she is 18. She can choose to drop out, move out, and never speak to you again.

At this point, its time to back up, trust you raised her the best you could.

Also remember, this is the age when this happens A lot. Give her a few years, and you will find that she probably will have moved past the immature behavior and habits.
    jo1968 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2011, 03:19 PM
    My daughter S is in almost the same situation. Although I had not had custody of her for the past 13 years, and my ex never consulted me on any issues she had, with the exception of needing money for this or that. But back to the curfew question, S will not be walking and graduating with her class, she failed 2 classes as is required to take summer school. The school charges $200 per class that she would need to take. My ex said that she can't afford it. I then said, fine, if I am going to pay for her to take the summer school classes, she needs to live with me for the duration of summer school, as well as follow the rules of my house. My current wife and I have 2 children, ages 7 and 10, and my wife is strict on ensuring schoolwork/homework gets done, and she is willing to do the same for S, since even though she is not blood related, she feels as if she is her mom, as she has been with me since S was 5 years old. I made up a "contract" with my daughter and had her sign it. In there, she agrees to pay me back half of the cost of the classes she has to make up. Also, on weeknights, her curfew is 11:30, and weekends are 1:30. She had a problem with it, but she realizes she messed up and has to get her diploma if she ever wants to get anything better than a minimum wage job. Other clauses in the contract is that she has to help with meals twice a week, as well as assist with the food shopping. And finally, there was the clause that *ANY* signs of alcohol or drug use will not be tolerated, and that I would not hesitate to contact a mental health facility and have her taken there for rehab. Yes, she is "technically" an adult, but she is living here with 2 impressionable young children, and severely inappropriate behavior will be dealt with. Many times in the past I had tried to have my daughter live with me for the summer, or for a year of school while she was growing up, but my ex always came up with excuses. And a lot of the "I don't care" and going out to party and sleeping out all the time was because her mom let her do that whenever she wanted since she was like 15.

jo1968 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2011, 03:22 PM
    Comment on XM8's post
    Threating to throw you out is using "scare-tactics" Most teens don't respond well to them for the simple reason that while they believe that "x" could happen, that it won't happen to them. And the worse part about threatening to throw your 18 year old out, they may take it upon themselves and just leave.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What about when your daughter doesn't want a party for her high school graduation? [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter sent out announcements to family members about 3 weeks prior to her Graduating from high school. Since she chose not to have a party, we did not expect any Gifts or money from anyone. Some did send a card with money, but the majority of my Husband's family, cousins , aunts, uncles,...

Out of high school for a year-can I get in? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm kind of taking a break to get things straight before going to college, if I go. I've been looking at some schools online to figure out options for the future. When I shared one I was considering with my mother, she said that she thinks you have less of a chance of being accepted to a college or...

My daughter entering 2 year of High school [ 3 Answers ]

To Whom it may concern: My daughter is a high achiever and this past year 09 she just ended her 1st year of High school at her school district while previously coming from another school district where her permit ended from attendance from elementary through her Junior High School. She has been...

5 year High School limit [ 3 Answers ]

My son was told by his school principal that if he does not finish his requirements this year he will not be allowed to graduate with a diploma. He had back surgery which caused him to miss a semester about 18 months ago. This is his fifth year and will be 20 next year. I have never heard of being...

My 18 yr. Old daughter who is in her last year of high school is out of control. [ 13 Answers ]

My 18 yr. old daughter is in her last year of high school. Her father (my ex- husband) died last year and since then she has been living with friends despite my numerous attempts to have her live with me and her younger brother and sister. She tells me that I cannot tell her what to do since she...

View more questions Search