Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bumber_shoot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2006, 12:20 PM
    Belly Button Piercing Side Effects
    Help! My daughter will not stop pestering me about how she wants to get her belly button pierced and I would be fine with her getting it done if I just knew the health risks and side effects. Does anyone know if there are any major risks or what I should know before she gets it done?
    Thanks!!
    curiousone777 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Nov 26, 2006, 12:25 PM
    Hey! I have my belly button pierced and I haven't had any problems with it. Just make sure if she does get it done, that she doesn't touch it.. and Put sea salt on it.. It will heal faster.. butif she keeps on playing with it (cus its hard not too) its more likely to get infected...
    addy Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Nov 26, 2006, 01:01 PM
    HEY< I have never heard of any real health risks about piercing the bellybutton but 1 thing I know is that if she gains a lot of weight in a short amount of time(pregnancy)THE hole will become bigger and scientific studies have shown that piercing your tongue can cause cancer.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Nov 26, 2006, 01:52 PM
    Hi Bumber,
    Here is a pretty good link:

http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/body-piercing.html

I hope this helps. Take care. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 26, 2006, 05:40 PM
    If not done at a reputable and clean place there is a risk for hepatitis C which is lifelong and can be deadly.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2006, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bumber_shoot
    Help! My daughter will not stop pestering me about how she wants to get her belly button pierced and I would be fine with her getting it done if I just knew the health risks and side effects. Does anyone know if there are any major risks or what I should know before she gets it done?
    Thanks!!
    The major risks are infections, allergic reactions and bleeding. If the wrong jewerly is used, like too smal it can cause a cutoff of blood supply to piercing site and a lot of pain. If jewerly too thin or heavy or if your allergice to metal used your body can reject the jewerly. You can end up with keloids (thick scarring at piercing site). Use stainless steel, silver is not good choice cause it tarnishes, and gold should be at least 18Kt. The navel akes 4 months to a year to heal, and is more likely to get infected because of irritation from tight clothes or clothing rubbing or catching on site or jewerly. A pierced navel needs air to aid in the healing process. If the studio uses a gun to do any piercing, leave... piercing guns can't be sterlized and should never be used on body piercing. Mostly make sure place is extremely clean, well lighted and piercer wahes his hands with proper solutions. Some states require licenses see if their a member of the Association of Professional Piercers, these are the best trained.
    :cool:
    racquelz Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 07:40 PM
    Thanks!!
    Well you should let your daughter to get it done but then she will learn the side effects
    jesijesi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 06:53 PM
    I am a 14 yr old daughter, and I understand how my mom felt about this, well I got mine done about 2 weeks ago, it is red around the openings of the piercing and somewhat sore when bothered. I clean it 3 times a day with saltwater (which they should provide). I guess it is normal to puss a little, though mine never has. Whatever you do DO NOT CHANGE IT BEFORE ABOUT 4 MONTHS. A friend of mine did that, hah just don't do it. Well I hope you take her, I love mine its adorable, it was worth the pain though.
    taters1990 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2007, 02:20 PM
    Hey there,
    I got my belly button pierced at 14, and I am now 17... I too pestered my parents to get it done and they eventually gave me.
    Health risks I would say, well people will say no health risks to encourage you to get it done, or some people have never had anything go wrong and that's great! But, when I got mine done I bled and bled it was horrible, but it did help me when it was getting healed, wash it at least TWICE a day, More if you want to, I use to wash mine every 3 hours or so for the first week or two the cleaner it is the better off you are.
    Also, get surgical steel or titanium, your body is less likely to react to these types.
    Make sure she gets a ring and not a bar, bars are more susceptible to infection due to the fact they don't move, a bar moves and therefore the puss and such is not sitting in one spot, that can cause infection.
    To be safe go back to the piercer who pierced after 6 weeks and ask them if it is safe to change the piercing, you don't want to change it too early.
    I think that's all I can tell you about belly button piercings, I hope I was of some help!
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2007, 09:37 PM
    Okay I have many piercings, intimate, nipples and navel as well. Firstly, the studio should be spotless and the piercer needs to explain the total procedure as well as all of the items they intend to use, clamp, needle, sterilisation capability of the tools etc. If the piercer cannot and will not explain to YOUR satisfaction-move on!

Ask to see photos of work done and preferably the piercer's certificate as well as a few contacts (people who have been done by the piercer).

A pierce is medical surgery-it requires sterilised instruments and sterilised surroundings-not some dingy back alley. The piercer will draw the position on your duaghter where the pierce will be done-if not, move on! The piecer will use ONLY surgical steel ,purpose-made piercing needles-not an ear piercing gun. The pierce will be a cut hole not a darning-needle pushed through. The nedle is a large-guage hypodermic-style needle that cuts a piece (tub) of flesh as it passes through. The belly/navel is not very sensitive-pain is low in comparison to nipples-ouch that hurts!

A piercer will only allow surgical steel for the first jewelry-a few months later-she can get it changed.

The cleaning is of utmost importance! The solution is weak alcohol with an antibacterial and distilled purified water-if you get salt solution-throw it back-move on! A chemist/drugstore owner should give you the correct solution.

The pierce needs constant (twice daily) attention and aftercare to avoid ripping (jewelry against clothing-ouch!).

Apart from this if your duaghter wants a pierce-she needs to know to keep it clean-if she is 100% capable, then she will have no problems.

Regards
    Hope this helped
    sammy_lou Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2008, 04:04 AM
    Thanks!!
    Hi you are asking the side effects of your daughter having her belly button done, well I have had mine done since 8th July 2008 when you first have it done it starts hurting a tiny little bit but nothing mager its just like a tingly feeling, when you take the plaster off the belly peircing you have to wash it straight the way and then you have got to move it up and down so it don't stick and get infected and you have got to clean it with salt and water with a cotton bud otherwise it will get infected and takes 6 - 7 months to heel normally 6 but on the off chance I would leave it in for 7 months if I was you, with mine it is healing and it bleeding but I don't no what that problem could be but if you daughters starts bleeding then I would seek help straight the way but it might be just because it is heeling

Thanks you
    Love samantha xx
    Hope you find this useful!
    mari_kiss_kiss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2010, 04:32 PM
    I am a 13 year old daughter with a navel piercing. You are the nicest mum here. Lots of mums just say 'no' but you are letting her make her own decision and it is great that you want to know the health risks!

The only thing I know of is if you don't go to a safe place, or you don't look after it properly, it could get infected.

Mines okay though and it doesn't hurt.

But when you go;

If he doesn't take the needle out of a plastic bag clean, leave.
    If he doesn't wash his hands first, leave.
    If he doesn't put on gloves, leave.
    If it looks dodgy, leave. That is the only time not to listen to your daughter if she says its fine. If any of these then LEAVE!
    christineeee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2010, 03:38 PM
    If she takes good care of it and cleans it and listens to all the rules the piercer tells her there are no risks. I have mine done and I cleaned it twice a day with antibacterial soap and waited 8 weeks to change it and I have had nothing wrong! It didn't hurt when I got it. Good luck ! :D
    Bremegirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Feb 11, 2011, 03:47 AM
    I didn't have too much trouble with mine I've had It for 2 years. Just make sure she's cautious about what she wears and standing up if she's at school (I caught mine on a desk once and it got a little infected) and I recommend H2Ocean for cleaning.

If you do let her get it done make sure you have something sugary in case her blood pressure drops after the piercing. Have her stay seated for about 15 minutes or until her eyes are no longer dilated or glossy. I say this from experience my blood pressure dropped and I fainted so be aware of that with her.
    sparkle65 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2011, 12:34 AM
    Comment on jesijesi's post
    I got mine 2 days ago.. on the first day, it was fine. Didn't hurt at all. But after that it is slightly red, hurts.. kind of pinches. Gives me an uneasy feeling inside. I'm cleaning it 3 times a day. Is it going to be fine?
    bubblegum009090 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2011, 05:50 AM
    Hi well my cousin got hers done and so am I and the major risks are atcully puss and blood dripping also it could be sore , lastely so infected you have to take it out. But there are so many ways to prevent those such as clening try a little salt wauter 4 times a day also were a lose top and lose jeans not to put pressure on it
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2011, 07:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bubblegum009090 View Post
    hi well my cousin got hers done and so am i and the major risks are atcully puss and blood dripping also it could be sore , lastely so infected you have to take it out. but there are so many ways to prevent those such as clening try a little salt wauter 4 times a day also were a lose top and lose jeans not to put presure on it

Actually the biggest risk is infection, not just puss and blood and soreness. I am aware of one piercing that led to a serious infection which required hospitalization.

My suggestion is to check licensing requirements and make sure the person doing the piercing is licensed (if one is required).
    letoya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2011, 04:28 PM
    So true hun I got mynes don but I want to no I puss sometimes a little everyday is that a bad sing or its it okai
    Boomboompow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2011, 08:00 AM
    I'm 12 and got mine done a week ago and it wasn't sore at all, mine is still red around the openings but it's OK, mine didn't bleed, she'll be grand, take her, she'll love it! Although I got a bit dizzy and I was sweating but I was OK!
    Boomboompow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2011, 08:05 AM
    Then again I thought I was going to collappse but it says on some websites that's normal :s but here anyway, I love mine! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Piercing the belly button [ 20 Answers ]

HEY ALL Well i am new here and i wanted to know can i peirce my belly button myself?? If so how?? And is it kinda like peircing the ears Thank you very much

Belly Button Piercing [ 8 Answers ]

I Was Wondering... Can U Pierce An Outty?

Belly button piercing and scars [ 8 Answers ]

OK I was wondering if id be able to get my belly button repierced under these conditions. OK first of all, I had it pierced before but it came out and closed. Now I have a dime sized lump of scar tissue wheere it was pierced. I also revently had gallbladder surgery and I have I tiney incision scar...

Repiercing my belly button [ 4 Answers ]

Sooo... my grandmother wouldn't let me pierce my belly button so I did it myself, but after about 4 months I took it out because I realized I didn't get enough skin pierced and I tried to let it heal up and then there was still the hole so I put the ring back it (it was tempting me out of my mind)...

Belly Button Piercing [ 3 Answers ]

I have a belly button piercing for about 5 months now and it is taking a very long time to heel. I was told to use Mecca to help it heel but it has been discontinued, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

View more questions Search