Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hartistry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2008, 08:22 AM
    My Goat seems to bey in pain?
    One of my goats is beying every 4-5 minutes, and she peels her upper lip back as if trying to burp or barf. This is out of the norm for her.
    Do I need to worm her, or are there other things that I should be looking for?
    Concerned,
    Jim
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 20, 2008, 08:37 AM
    You need to be looking for a good vet, but... I don't know if goats 'crib' as horses do. That's when a horse sucks in air while knawing a fence board (is the best way I can explain it).
    Expert

Sep 21, 2008, 03:00 AM
    Hartistry, your 'disagree' was very rude. You could have done a little investigating into my suggestion and come up with this on Google. It wasn't JARGON, may have been 'not difinitive', but we are NOT vets here. Here is the information on CRIBBING (which is more definitive) and I do believe I have seen goats do this.
    A Close Look At Horse Cribbing
    By Jeffrey Rolo

Horse cribbing is a vice that can drive even the strongest horseman to his knees in frustration, for not only is it obnoxious to witness, cribbing can also impair a horse's long-term health and cause significant damage to a stable. The unfortunate news is there is no magic bullet to conquer a cribbing problem (what works for one may not work for another), but there is an assortment of remedies that just might solve your horse's vice. Before discussing the potential solutions to this problem in a Conquering Horse Cribbing, let's take a brief look at what cribbing is.

Cribbing, also commonly referred to as wind sucking, is the act of a horse gripping an edge such as a wooden fence, grain bin, metal round pen, stable door, etc. with his front teeth, arching his neck and swallowing air. This air intake creates a grunting/belching noise. Note that cribbing and wood chewing are not the same. Some horses will chew on wood without arching their neck or sucking in air.
    Expert

Sep 21, 2008, 03:06 AM
    Hartistry, your 'disagree' was very rude, we don't do things that way here. You could have done a little investigating into my suggestion and come up with this on Google. It wasn't JARGON, may have been 'not difinitive', but we are NOT vets here. Here is the information on CRIBBING (which is more definitive) and I do believe I have seen goats do this. Could be your goat has air in his stomach and its quite painful.
    A Close Look At Horse Cribbing
    By Jeffrey Rolo

Horse cribbing is a vice that can drive even the strongest horseman to his knees in frustration, for not only is it obnoxious to witness, cribbing can also impair a horse's long-term health and cause significant damage to a stable. The unfortunate news is there is no magic bullet to conquer a cribbing problem (what works for one may not work for another), but there is an assortment of remedies that just might solve your horse's vice. Before discussing the potential solutions to this problem in a Conquering Horse Cribbing, let's take a brief look at what cribbing is.

Cribbing, also commonly referred to as wind sucking, is the act of a horse gripping an edge such as a wooden fence, grain bin, metal round pen, stable door, etc. with his front teeth, arching his neck and swallowing air. This air intake creates a grunting/belching noise. Note that cribbing and wood chewing are not the same. Some horses will chew on wood without arching their neck or sucking in air.
    GothGirl1771 Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Sep 21, 2008, 09:20 AM

Bring her to the vet... you never know what's wrong until you get her checked up... good luck!
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Sep 21, 2008, 11:36 AM

Could she have bloat? Since goats have multiple stomachs and eat all kinds of things they don't usually crib as much as horses do (good response tickle) unless they are chewing because of craving salt or they have goldenrod or other weeds in the pasture or hay that make them tend to chew on things excessively. This sounds more like she might be having trouble bringing up her could to chew or excess gas. Has she been picking up leaves or apples? Anybody feed her junkfood while you weren't looking? I would try applesauce or molasses or some dry oatmeal as medicines if a dose of Ivermectin doesn't help
    lex1234 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2008, 12:35 AM

Go through all the basics... check her temp... (you can do a quick check by feeling her ears if they are abnormally warm and her muzzle, nose and gums are dryer than nomal) is she arching her back at all.. could be an internal problem like her stomach if she is.. If she is bloated one side of her stomach will be sticking out Way more then the other... look at the cavity in the animals side by her hook bones... alot of animals do the flehmen response also if they are in heat or are sensing another in heat... she could have some hormonal problems going on.. best bet... try deworming her and call the vet... he is your best bet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I tame my goat? [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a 5 month old pygmy goat buck and I want to know what is the best way to tame him so that he is friendly around people

Goat pregnant or not [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one year old Saanen goat who has recently bagged up underneath making me think she might be in kid. Problem one is we don't have a male goat! Problem two she was in a paddock with some rams and I've been told they can cross. How do I tell if she has just gone into milk as a maiden or if...

Male goat [ 2 Answers ]

I hope I am in the right area. After 30 years without a horse, I purchased one and bought him a goat as a companion. He is an intact male and has turned quite mean. I have notice that I should have bought a neutered male. My question is can I have this one neutered now? The horse is quite fond...

Goat away [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Nice forum. My name is Michael and my wife and I just bought a house in the country. Absolutely love everything about it.Except for a neighbors goat! I have tried numerous times to cath our new neighbor at home to discuss this but have failed so far. She has beautiful Horses, and Swans, and...

View more questions Search