Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    siroy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2008, 09:36 AM
    My boyfriend asked for a break, what should I do?

Me and my boyfriend have two yrs together, and known each other for about 7 yrs. Lately he's been talking to his ex girlfriend a lot. I know he cares for her because there was a time in his life where he was going throw a lot and she was there for him so he lives with this thing that he feels like he has to be there for her. But here's the issue his ex still has feelings for him and A LOT. She's always leaving little messages on msn that she love him and so on and so forward. He claims he doesn't pay mind to that. When I ask him to not speak to her no more he tells me he won't agree to it because if he speaks to her again hell be lying to me. Yesterday we got into a fight about her like we do every week. We have real bad trust issues because iof her and people who tell him lies about me. After our argument last night he text me asking for a break, but I really think a break is going to make things worse. I feel if we really love each other and I know we do then we should work things out. Now I don't know what to do I don't want a break and I feel if we do have one I want to just call it quits because am afraid he's going to cheat on me. Am so confused:confused: . I want us to work out so badly. What should I do?
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 09:38 AM
    First, you need to find out the guidelines to the break. If he doesn't know, give him what he wants, space. While this goes on, don't make any attempts to talk to him so you properly heal, relationships very rarely recover after a break.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 25, 2008, 07:34 PM
    Its sad but true and Rome is so right, things seldom work out the way you want them to. You can't make him stay ,and work things out, but you can get him to define the break so you know what he wants, and what he expects.

I want us to work out so badly. What should I do?
    Give him exactly what he wants, and leave him alone while you take this time to put your own life in balance, and order, for yourself.

Love yourself enough to put yourself first, as he has put himself first.
    hjpan Posts: 902, Reputation: 29

Jul 25, 2008, 07:42 PM
    No.. YOU BREAK UP WITH HIM NOW.

If he's unsure of you or his ex, that's unreasonable.
    Seriously, he sounds like a good guy who turns shallow.
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 07:52 PM
    Im sure he wanted a break because he got tired of your "fears" and accusations. So give him the space he asked. Also reassess yourself and address your trust issues in between. Is it really them or you? He will cheat on you if he wants to so just be confident that all your good deeds will prevail while "on break". At least he's being honest even if it annoys you.
    gerardymolawd Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Jul 26, 2008, 04:27 PM
    .set rules and boudaries that both of you are 100% clear on. That way you can be sure that he will not do anything to hurt you during this break. Also limit yopurself to just 3 or 4 messages to him per day asking how hw is and how things are going.
    Make it clear though that you do not want him to get in contact with his ex during this period or your gone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asked for a break, I want him back [ 9 Answers ]

About a month ago my boyfriend asked for a break because of being too busy and stuff. He said there was a possibility we could get back together in the summer. We talk every so often but not for that long just a hi how are you doing how was your weekend thing. We don't go to the same school so we...

How much chasing should she do after she's asked for a break? [ 73 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I very much need advice on a specific question as soon as possible. I have spent the last week browsing many threads on this site and find that it is the only place to turn to get level-headed perspectives on these things. However, after all my browsing, I haven't found a...

My boyfriend asked for a break [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend told me 4 days ago that he wanted a break.. we have been dating for 2 months. I had to ask quite a few times what was wrong because he was looking really glum and wouldn't tell me what was wrong. He said that his parents where putting too much pressure on him and that he has so much to...

Asked her to marry me she said she needs a break to know herself first. [ 5 Answers ]

Ive just come across this ite and am looking for any advice from anyone with some experience to help me through this matter. I have been dating a beautiful girl for over 3 years now. We first met ata hotel where we worked and well she and I both played a bithard toget in the beginning but...

View more questions Search