Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Jul 31, 2007, 10:31 AM
    1/4 life crisis
    This may sound weird but I'm going through like a mid-age crisis at age 15. It has been going on for like 2 years. I am depressed because I feel old, I do not know why. I am 15 and I feel as if I was like 50 years old. I think its because I'm afraid of growing up... Im not afraid of death, having a family, living on my own, or anything like that. I can not figure it out. When typing this, I found out I want attention, though I am not sure if this has anything to do my "crisis". My dad doesn't really care for me, he does not live with me, and my mom is so busy and she does not understand me at all. She gets my brother and I mixxed up some times. We are twins but we look nothing alike. My family is pretty distant from any family members. Any family members that want to reach out to us, my mom thinks of it as a pity thing and rejects their help/offer. My mom is a hard worker but because of the economy she is having a hard time suppling for 3 kids. My step brother recently tried to get closer to me and my brother, but my mom gets mad when I talk to him. She makes me get off the phone and sometimes off the phone because I can talk to him over skype. I know I kind of went off topic, but could this be why I'm so depressed, and its not like a actual depress like where I hate myself and I'm never happy. I just feel old and not loves or something I can't really explain it. Hope I didn't confuse anyone lol:confused:
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 10:49 AM
    I sorry your parents are not there for you. Are there sports teams you could join like basketball or football or karate or even the Boy Scouts? These are organizations that will encourage you to be a part of their team and there are side benefits of exercise as well.

I have always felt older than my years, but I think that is just some people's personality.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 10:53 AM
    Me too, I've always felt beyond my years. I say try to relax, you are still in a very carefree time of life. You have many years before worrying about homes, kids and dying. Emland is right, try to find people who understand you and have a like mind it will make all the difference in the world.

Maybe you could even try to register with Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization. That might make you feel a little better to have an older male figure in your life who can help guide you towards manhood. Or if you have a Boys & Girls Club nearby usually the people who work there serve as mentors.

You seem like a good kid, don't be so hard on yourself. You will find your path just keep both hands out feeling for it.
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 12:09 PM
    Me too, I feel older than my peers,because I am wiser and maturer.:D
    That's what I suggest you to do:
    Start with little things and work up to bigger ones. Little things might be reading for 15 minutes, taking a walk, calling a friend or buying great-smelling soap, shampoo, candles or tea that you will enjoy every time you use it.
    Focus on what is positive about yourself, others and life in general, instead of dwelling on the negative. In a journal, write down as many positive things as you can think of. Keep it handy to read over, and continue adding to it.
    Appreciate what is working in your life right now. In the major areas of your life, such as your health, job, love life, friends, family, money and living situation, what is going well?
    Read books on the subject of happiness. Wise people have been writing about it for hundreds of years. In the bookstore, look under psychology, spirituality or philosophy.
    And remember there are other people feel they are old too, LIKE ME AND GELINDA.:D

Jul 31, 2007, 03:49 PM
    Well I am in boy scouts by force, maybe I need to attempt to enjoy it. The kids are so young, and only like 3 kids are my age or older. They are not like me though, they don't play sports, or anything, they just sit in front of a comp all day. I do basketball and bowling. I think the reason feel old is yeah I'm a lot more mature than the kids in my school, and I'm over 6 feet tall... People always thing I'm around 18 years old and that really bugs me.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 05:23 PM
    Well maybe you just need to find more things. Are there any sports team through your towns parks department that you could join, maybe something with some older boys? I remember my brother playing soccer with kids from 16-19 through the town. Maybe something like that would help. I bet there is a ton of stuff you just have to look for it.

Jul 31, 2007, 05:26 PM
    Well I would love to do more sports but I haven't done soccer,hockey, and baseball in a long time. I love soccer and hockey but I suck now because its been like 5 years. I am afraid of trying for the team though because I know I will do bad. I just picked up basketball about a year ago and I sucked really really bad. Today I am actually really really good. My schools coach was actually at one of my games for some reason (I don't play on a schools team), and like was questioning me about basketball. I may try out for soccer, I have been playing with soccerball for a couple weeks now. Maybe ill join, I don't know I just need to build up confindence
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 05:29 PM
    I'm sure you will do great! Just believe in yourself. Think about how great it will be to be on a team with a bunch of guys who all are into the same thing you are.

Is there a park or anything nearby, maybe guys do pickup games down there.

Jul 31, 2007, 05:34 PM
    Hmm, actually there is, I haven't been there in ages, its not that far either, only about 10 minutes by a bike ride. Maybe ill go their tomorrow
    Young-Love Posts: 38, Reputation: 0

Aug 8, 2007, 07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sGt HarDKorE
    This may sound weird but im going through like a mid-age crisis at age 15. It has been goin on for like 2 years. I am depressed because i feel old, i do not know why. I am 15 and i feel as if i was like 50 years old. I think its because im afraid of growing up... Im not afraid of death, having a family, living on my own, or anything like that. I can not figure it out. When typing this, i found out i want attention, though i am not sure if this has anything to do my "crisis". My dad doesnt really care for me, he does not live with me, and my mom is so busy and she does not understand me at all. She gets my brother and i mixxed up some times. We are twins but we look nothing alike. My family is pretty distant from any family members. Any family members that want to reach out to us, my mom thinks of it as a pity thing and rejects their help/offer. My mom is a hard worker but because of the economy she is having a hard time suppling for 3 kids. My step brother recently tried to get closer to me and my brother, but my mom gets mad when i talk to him. She makes me get off the phone and sometimes off the phone because i can talk to him over skype. i know i kind of went off topic, but could this be why im so depressed, and its not like a actual depress like where i hate my self and im never happy. I just feel old and not loves or something i can't really explain it. Hope i didnt confuse anyone lol:confused:
    Hunni, nothing you do is going to stop you from growing up. Go out live your life and treat every day as a new experience. Don't be such a kid
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 10, 2007, 10:03 AM
    In high school, my friends and I didn't tend to do all the "stupid kid" things everyone else did. Yeah, we were underage. So... why should we go out and drink, just because of that?

I agree, I think it has mostly to do with maturity. In school, it seems like almost everyone around you just doesn't connect with you, at all. Then you get kind of lonely, maybe a little depressed.

If you find a few good friends that feel the same way, you talk about the same things, maybe have a few of the same interests, this can really help. Not everyone understands why they feel the things they do, but with people who feel the same way, it's just kindof... I don't know how to describe it. It's like a connection.

Once you get out of school, things actually tend to get eaiser. I started college, quit my fast food job, and got a "real" job. When you're out in the real world, people aren't really separated by age as much. Most of the places I've worked, I'm close to the youngest one there, and it just doesn't matter. If you go to college, it's the same way. I went to a community college when I was 18, and there were people in my classes that wew 25, and people that were 40.

As for not being afraid of the things you mention, I think it goes along the same lines. You accept that fact that you will be responsible for your own life. Most high schoolers and teenagers only live for the present, maybe think ahead a little bit into the future. Being able to look at yourself and see where you might be 5 or 10 years from now is definitely a more mature attitude than most of the people I went to school with (and that was only 4 years ago... )

I'd say, Just hang in there for a little while. Whenever you start to feel a little depressed about how it seems that you're just doing the same thing over and over, and not really for any good reason, just remember that while you may live with your mom now, and be restricted to do what she feels is best, it's only for a few more years. Once you turn 18, you are in charge of your own life, and you can make it go any direction you choose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hair Crisis! [ 3 Answers ]

I have brown blonde hair and I have been dying it black for a little over a year now. I want to go back to my natural hair color then go a lightish blonde. I know that is pretty much impossible to dye my black hair and turn it blonde... and I heard stripping makes your hair very rough and straw...

Is this just a mid-life crisis? [ 16 Answers ]

I am at a really strange place in my life right now, and could use a little help figuring out where to go from here. I have been married for the past 29 years (since I was 20) to a really great guy. He is my best friend; we get along well, have great and frequent sex, raised 3 great kids...

How do I get through to someone in a mid life crisis? [ 5 Answers ]

I just recently found out that my mother had an affair and wants to leave my dad after 25 years of what seemed to me to be the "perfect marriage." I am 22 years old and have a 2 year old and a new baby, my husband and I got married in May of last year. My mother came to me and told me she just...

Many Crisis [ 1 Answers ]

I am not sure how to help myself. I am very upset most of my life. I can't afford therapy and I am afraid to if I could. The man that I love is so against mental illness. Ever since I can remember I have worried about things. I am talking about a young age. First it was my father? Was he...

Relationships crisis [ 2 Answers ]

Would like to know if my present partner is the one for life or my ex boyfriend or none of them,is there anyone still coming into my life? And is that ex boyfriend the father of my daughter? Date of birth 06.05.1978.

View more questions Search