Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KaylaKK Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Three negative pregnancy tests, no period for five months
    Hi, I'm 17 and I have not had my period in five months. The last time I had sex was about five months ago as well. I was on the birth control pill but I wasn't very good about taking it everyday and ontime. Today I got a tiny bit of red blood when I wiped. Which also happened once about a month ago. A few weeks ago when I wiped once there was a brown discharge but that only happened once. I have taken three pregnancy tests within this five month period and all have been negative. Im going to the doctor Friday for a normal check up and my mom is coming along, but she doesn't know I haven't had my period in five months so I was hoping to get some feed back from other people before I go in. What are your thought? I hear that it can take up to 18 months to get your period back once you go off your birth control pills and I have been off mine for five months so I hope this is the case for me. Anyone with suggestions, comments or support would be very helpful at a time like this for me. Thank you
    sweetblood_15 Posts: 71, Reputation: 4

Apr 27, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KaylaKK
    Hi, im 17 and I have not had my period in five months. The last time I had sex was about five months ago as well. I was on the birth control pill but I wasnt very good about taking it everyday and ontime. Today I got a tiny bit of red blood when I wiped. Which also happened once about a month ago. A few weeks ago when I wiped once there was a brown discharge but that only happened once. I have taken three pregnancy tests within this five month period and all have been negative. Im going to the doctor friday for a normal check up and my mom is coming along, but she doesnt know I havent had my period in five months so I was hoping to get some feed back from other people before I go in. What are your thought? I hear that it can take up to 18 months to get your period back once you go off your birth control pills and I have been off of mine for five months so I hope this is the case for me. Anyone with suggestions, comments or support would be very helpful at a time like this for me. Thank you
    Most likely you are not... something would've showed up if you are 5 months pregnant... it is very hard to believe if you used the pregnancy test correctly that it would be inaccurate... try one more again if not sure
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 27, 2007, 06:41 PM
    You need to see your doctor. I was 4 months pregnant with my daughter before any test, blood or otherwise showed a positive. We only found out because of an ultrasound. Please make an appointment with your doctor to find out if you are pregnant and if not, exactly what is going on.
    brazygirl08 Posts: 74, Reputation: 9

Apr 27, 2007, 07:41 PM
    Yea go to the doctor or a pregnancy center if you don't want your mom to know! Let us know what happens!
    princessandthepea Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 27, 2007, 08:14 PM
    Hi, im 17 and I have not had my period in five months. The last time I had sex was about five months ago as well. I was on the birth control pill but I wasnt very good about taking it everyday and ontime. Today I got a tiny bit of red blood when I wiped. Which also happened once about a month ago. A few weeks ago when I wiped once there was a brown discharge but that only happened once. I have taken three pregnancy tests within this five month period and all have been negative. Im going to the doctor friday for a normal check up and my mom is coming along, but she doesnt know I havent had my period in five months so I was hoping to get some feed back from other people before I go in. What are your thought? I hear that it can take up to 18 months to get your period back once you go off your birth control pills and I have been off of mine for five months so I hope this is the case for me. Anyone with suggestions, comments or support would be very helpful at a time like this for me. Thank you
    If you haven't had a period for five months it's good that you are going to see a doctor, something's not quite right, but that doesn't mean that there is necessarily anything to worry about. There are a few reasons you may have stopped getting your period (or been getting extremely light periods), but your doc will be able to give you a better idea than me.
    If you've had three negative pregancy tests in five months, chances are you're not pregnant, but if you have started being sexually active, you're going to need to start thinking about having a Pap smear or Smear test - I'm from Australia and we can have these done at our local doctor - but if your in the States, you might need to go to a gynaecologist. This test is really inportant for picking up the early stages of cervical cancer, and all women should have them once they become sexually active, or reach 18yrs of age.
    If you are very underweight from dieting, do a lot of heavy sport, or for some other reason have very low body fat, your body may have naturally stopped ovulating, which can result in amenorrhea (stopped periods) so your doctor will most likey weigh you and do a physical exam.
    I think you're going to have to come to some sort of agreement with your Mum about going in to see your doctor alone. You have right to privacy, and there are some things which are just a litte too embarrsing to talk about in front of your parents - but you need to get medical advice about this - don't ignore it just because your afriad your mum will find out you've been having sex.
    Good luck sweeheart.
    alittleconfused Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2007, 08:33 PM
    Hello Kayla,
    I'm glad that you are visiting your doctor soon because there is a need to be concerned. I don't mean to scare you but I don't think it's normal for someone as young as you are to be experiencing this. Usually when you stop taking birth control pills your peroid resumes as normal within the next two months unless you have been on them for a very long time. It is possible to be pregnant in your tubes. That could be why the test are showing up negative. Are you having any abdominal pain? Although I hope this is not the case for you, but that was the case for my sister. Well good luck with your visit to your doctor and ask questions don't be afraid to ask the reasons for your missed periods and spotting if they don't find anything wrong. Wish you well
    shorty_got_skills Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

May 1, 2007, 07:03 AM
    I don't think you are but its best to ask your doctor. It could all just be the birth control thing
    pickerill Posts: 46, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Try not to worry as worry can also affect your periods. I have a similar problem with my periods and mine is down to possible polycystic ovaries (im currently waiting for confirmation on the diagnosis). Talk to your mum, after all a problem shared is a problem halfed, you never know your mum might have had similar problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Over 2 weeks late but Pregnancy tests are negative [ 22 Answers ]

My periods are very regular but I am over two weeks late. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for over 6 months. I have taken several home tests and they are negative. I also went to my doctor last week for a routine pap and she said my urine test was negative. Is it possible that...

Three negative pregnancy tests, no period in 5 months [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 17 and I have not had my period in five months. The last time I had sex was about five months ago as well. I was on the birth control pill but I wasn't very good about taking it everyday and ontime. Today I got a tiny bit of red blood when I wiped. Which also happened once about a month...

4 negative pregnancy tests but still no period [ 7 Answers ]

My period was due on April 10th and on that day I took a test and it was negative.since then I've taken 3 more and they all were negative but I'm having no symptoms for my period to come which I usually do and I'm having the symptoms of being pregnant me and my boyfriend have been having...

No period, negative home pregnancy tests but am I pregnant? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I'm hoping someone can shed some light as I am a little confused. I stopped taking the pill 5 weeks ago. My period is always a 28 day cycle. My husband and I have been having unprotected sex and for the past 2 weeks I have been overly tired, some cramping, some nausea and bloated. ...

Missed Period for 2 months but tests are NEGATIVE [ 18 Answers ]

Hello, Iam 22 and Iam really nervouse and scared.. Iam married but me and my husband began to use condoms instead of any birth control pill or patches. Before I got married and began to use the Ortha Evora Patches I sometimes had irregular periods( I wouldn't get it for weeks or even a few...

View more questions Search