Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Larken85 Posts: 696, Reputation: 146

May 19, 2011, 09:23 AM
    Water intake...
    Ok now this is stupid... I have transferred to drinking almost only water. I rarely drink pop at all now and only have a cup of coffee or two max in the morning with maybe a cup or two of red tea durning the day. Sure I have some sugar in my coffee and I drink sweetened tea. But at this point, I am drinking close to 3 liters of water a day compared to the 2 liters of pop I was drinking and that isn't including the coffee and the tea or food consumption. I read somewhere that if you drink lots of water you would lose weight (obviously this is untrue). I am 5'5" and 185 lbs or so. I haven't to my knowledge dropped a single pound, my clothes seem to be fitting tighter and tighter each day. I drink that much water because I am always thursty. I pee a lot but sweat every little. I try to eat healthy most days, and have been trying to eat smaller portions as well. And I have been getting more exercise than ever lately though I do not go out of my way to work out, just kayaking and work. Still, with all that it seems I am still putting on weight, WHY?? Am I drinking far too much water and making my body store it? Like I said I pee A LOT! So I don't think I am storing much if any water at all. And the temp around here is very moderate, not very hot. Its Michigan. What am I doing wrong guys/girls? Why can't I lose weight, and on top of that question, why am I drinking so much water all the time. It is to the point that even my health nut friend has told me I drink enough water to kill a camel.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2011, 10:26 AM

My immediate suspicion when someone is constantly thirsty even though they are drinking a lot is diabetes. Have you had a blood glucose test recently? If not, I think you should consider one.

Diabetes or pre-diabetes could also be a reason for problems with weight gain.

If you are in normal health, then your body will not "store" water. Once you have drunk enough to be properly hydrated, all the excess will be pee'd out. Normal urine is a page yellow colour. If yours is clear or almost clear, it's likely you are drinking too much water. You can't gain weight by drinking lots of water.

By the same token, drinking water won't make you lose weight, unless you are drinking it in place of sugary or alcoholic drinks.

May 19, 2011, 11:42 AM
    Comment on Eileen G's post
    Well I replaced diet pop with water but since that had no sugar anyway it wasn't affecting my weight. I am thinking the addition of the sugars in my tea and coffee may be a huge factor. But I have had sugar issues in the past so I will do a glucose test to be sure. How do I do that though? Do I have to see a doctor for the test or is there something I can pick up at a drug store to do it with?
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2011, 03:03 PM

I would consider seeing a doctor to get a proper test, especially with a history of sugar issues. You say you are not drinking that much tea and coffee, it's mostly water, so even with sugar in your drinks, your calories should be going down, not up. If you are gaining weight, and your clothes are getting tighter, and you are constantly thirsty, it's worth a proper investigation.

May 19, 2011, 08:43 PM
    Comment on Eileen G's post
    OK OK, I'll make an appointment. Ty

May 23, 2011, 06:38 AM
    OK, I decided to try cutting out sugar just to see what would happen, and over like 3 days time my shorts are already not as tight. Course my active rate went up too but still, that is improvement. Especially since I haven't had a single episode of the shakes. Keeping fed, but eating a little less, no sugar, and only unsweetened coffee and water fluids basically. I am losing belly fat. Maybe my diet was just all out of wack. Will update in a few days.
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2011, 01:10 PM

Please do. I'd like to know what's happening.

Aug 1, 2011, 04:29 AM
    OK, I have lost some weight. Again the active rate has gone up but I now only drink water, black coffee, and unsweetened tea. Sorry it took so long for the update. I haven't had a single sugar problem since this new diet was started. I guess my sugar intake was just far too high before. Either way, I am healthier and I can feel it.
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2011, 04:44 PM
    Glad to hear that. I'm a firm believer in eating your calories rather than drinking them. You can usually have something nice and filling to eat for the same calories as many sugary drinks.

Aug 1, 2011, 05:11 PM
    I totally agree with you there

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine cold water intake [ 3 Answers ]

I have a build up of a metallic susbtance at the cold water intake trap that goes into the washing machine. I remove the hose, clean out the substance with q-tips, replace the hose and wait for the build up to appear again. I have replaced the hoses to the washing machine, have no build up at any...

Water intake valves leaky under sink [ 2 Answers ]

It appears that my water intakes are leaking under my kitchen sink. They appear to be leaking from the point where the water on/off valve is located. Is this a job that I should hire out or is it one I can fix myself? I've sweated pipes before and but I certainly don't want to get in over my head...

Water intake tanks [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know much about these?

View more questions Search