Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colie1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 08:02 AM
    401k withdrawl penalty
    When I finally receive my portion of my ex husband's 401k- I'm wondering if I withdraw the money to use as a down payment on a house for my children and I-what is the penalty? I've heard that there is not a penalty for that purpose. If there is, how much is the penalty??
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 27, 2007, 09:01 AM
    IF you got the withdrawal as a result of a divorce (I suspect as much since he is your "ex"-husband), there IS no penalty for the withdrawal. However, your tax pro will need to know ALL of the specific so he can request an exception on your 2007 tax return.

Further, you may not even have to pay the normal income tax. It depends on HOW the withdrawal was handled. If it was withdrawn under your husband's name, then HE is on the hook to pay the taxes. This happened in the 2005 tax season to a client who got divorced.
    less taxes Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2010, 09:13 AM
    I took a withdrewl to buy a summer home in FL of 50.000.
    less taxes Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2010, 09:15 AM

I took a withdrewl from by 401 to buy a house
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 22, 2010, 09:17 AM

Hello Less Tax. Please do not tack a new question onto an old thread like this. You should start your own new question. But before you do that - please be sure to pose it in the form of a question - what specifically do you want to know about taking a withdrawal for a summer home?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Early withdrawal Penalty Exceptions [ 3 Answers ]

We withdrew money from an IRA to pay the college tuition for two of our kids. One of our kids was no longer a dependent last year so we only paid half of his tuition and fees (our share was only $3000). I have two questions... 1) Am I able to list the money I paid for his tuition as an...

401k withdrawal after 59.5 [ 1 Answers ]

What is my tax liability if I withdraw from my 401k after 59.5 ?

401K withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

My husband had his 401k accidentally mailed to our Georgia address. He was a legal resident of Tennessee at the time. I mailed the check to his TN address. No Georgia state taxes were taken out. He became a legal resident of TN on January 30th, 2006. Will he have to claim full, partial or none...

Early withdrawal penalty [ 1 Answers ]

I took a 401K withdrawl to pay for daughters college. I paid it back while employed. I changed jobs and I was issued a 1099-R as income from the unpaid balance of the original withdrawl. Question is: Can the 10% penalty be waived for early withdrawl from 401K or is relief only applicable with...

401k withdrawal [ 4 Answers ]

I am recently divorced and have to withdraw from my 401K in order to make a down payment on a house. I am also in the military and will be deploying to Iraq shortly. Question: If I cash in the 401K when I am in a tax free status (Iraq), will I still be taxed the 20% or just pay the 10% penalty?

View more questions Search