Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sciconf Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2005, 04:59 PM
    SE Tax: Small Claims awards $5000 for abruptly Terminating
    Hi

The Small Claims Awarded $5000 for Terminating the Indep Contractor agreement without giving the 2 weeks notice.

I was employed through another company and was paid through that company - however, I was asked to leave w/o the required 2 weeks notice.

I aksed for the 2 weeks pay and wasn't granted.

So I went to the small claims directly bypassing the middle man.

Court ordered them to pay me the $5000 since that's the most the court can awards (it's less than the 2 weeks pay ).

Company then asked me to sign forms and I didn't.

Company later issued a 1099-MISC for this payment with all "0"s for my SSN?

Should I pay Self Employment Tax - I didn't offer any service for this $5k - they paid it as a damage?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2005, 05:59 PM
    Sciconf:

Since the award was made to compensate for lost earnings (in this case, self-employment income), you must treat it as self-employment income on your tax return.

So the answer is Yes, you should pay self-employment taxes on this award.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use this to take someone to small claims? [ 5 Answers ]

I am going to make it short and sweet. We went to settlement on the our purchase of a home and, because I thought I knew the person we bought our home from I did not take a written agreement. BIG NO NO on my behalf realizing that now... The agreement was for the seller to come back and repair...

Small claims limit in Ohio [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the limit for small claims court is in Ohio. I saw on one website that it was $3,000.00 and a free legal advice person told me it was $5,000.00. Which figure is it?

Small claims lawsuit question? [ 0 Answers ]

I am in the process of filing a small claims lawsuit for $3000. I bought a $7000 car as a gift for an ex boyfriend. We broke up two months after the gift was given, and I feel I should be paid back either half the amount I spent or be given back the car. I have all the receipts showing I paid in...

View more questions Search