Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talhasaleem1990 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2017, 08:24 PM
    Wash sales Taxes implication
    Hi,
    I recently got my 1099B from fidelity and surprisingly, I see that some of my trades qualified for "wash sales loss disallowed",meaning I cant take Capital gain losses on my taxes this year.

What however is the problem is that I do not any of the "substantially similar" stocks etc.

I only traded from January to May (very actively ) in stocks, and didn't hold any stock/ETF etc positions from June onwards. So basically, any "replacement investment" has already been disposed off.

I wasn't sure how to deal with this in my taxes, since I want to claim that my adjusted cost basis should be applied this year.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 12, 2017, 08:41 PM
    Have you completely sold off all stocks in your portfolio?
    talhasaleem1990 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2017, 08:44 PM
    Yes, the only stock I still hold is Google (GOOGL) while all the other ETFs/stocks etc I was actively trading (and got wash sales loss disallowed for) were oil related.

They would not be considered similar in any way.

I am surprised that etrade (mistyped Fidelity first) wouldn't automatically adjust for this. They obviously knew I don't hold any of the replacement stuff anymore?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 12, 2017, 08:57 PM
    No, it is NOT obvious to the eTrade computer. Do NOT assume the forms are reviewed by humans, because they are not.

You need to make the required adjustment yourself when you enter the data in your tax software, removing the wash sale dis-allowance.

Make sure you understand all of the implications, because you can expect the IRS to challenge your adjustments because they are getting a copy of that eTrade statement that shows the wash sale disallowances.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 13, 2017, 06:02 AM
    You say you were "very active" during those first six months - I assume that means buying as well as selling. Wash sale rules would come into play if at any time that you sold a stock for a loss you also purchased more of that same stock within the time frame of 30 days prior to 30 days after the sale. It doesn't matter that you sold everything by June - the question is what were you buying from December to June, and did those purchases occur within 30 days of sales?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wash Sales Deferred Income: if I sold replacement sales on 01/29, but bought... [ 1 Answers ]

Wash Sales / Disallowed Loss Carry Forward I would like to know if the deferred disallowed loss from the sale of stock can be applied to the replacement stocks if I sell them at the end of the year and have ZERO "inventory" of the replacement stock at 2016 year closing,. EVEN if I buy them...

Law implication for not filing taxes with on resident alienA W8-ben form as a n [ 0 Answers ]

I am a foreign citizen living in the caribbean I opened an online brokerage account as a non resident alien I only work in the us on a J-1 visa is there any tax implications with that since I didn't use a W*-ben form I do have a social security number and a bankaccount that is active in the US

Short wash sales [ 1 Answers ]

Must I still report short was sale losses on my return if I don't take the losses on my return?

Taxes and implication when leaving US with L1 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

I am holding L1 Visa and have been working in New Jersey for 2 and 1/2 years and I will be leaving New Jersey when my contract with my company ends on 31st of March 2011. However, I will be leaving USA for good in February 2011. I have been filing taxes yearly. 1) What is the implication on...

IRS stuff and wash sales [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, The IRS is asking about these sales and proceeds.I'm depressed and confused about wash sales. Please help 01/08/07 MICROSOFT SELL 3,525 C $105,316.76 0.00 01/09/07 YAHOO! INC SELL 3,500 C $97,465.00 0.00 01/10/07 MICROSOFT SELL 3,500 C $103,764.81 0.00...

View more questions Search