Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Phredog Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2017, 05:08 AM
    Would you refuse RSU's?
    I am a US citizen living and working in Singapore.

Just over three years ago I was awarded 200 RSU. 100 vested after a year, then each quarter 3 more vested and so on.

The cost basis was nearly zero because I work for the bank and get an employee discount.

Having no idea what I was doing, I sold the first 100. I created a headache at the end of the year. I did not learn the first time, so I sold more. That is when my colleagues, and I, heard about the new reporting rules that were going into effect In the summer of 2017.

I asked around the internet, but everyone gave me cryptic answers. I tried looking up the new rules, but the information was ambiguous. Three of us immediately signed a form that forfeited the remaining units before any more vested.

Anyway, the shares were Only worth ~$12.50 at the time. There was no way we could have known they would be worth more than $20 today. So effectively, we tossed away $900 before taxes.

To be honest I still think we did the right thing. There are only a few tasks that I truly hate. One of them is doing paperwork. I do not relish lifting a pen for anything less than $2,000 or so, after taxes.

Anyway, assuming the cost basis is near zero, what amount is worth the extra paperwork? $2000, $5000?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2017, 08:34 PM
    I am not sure what new rules you speak of. Do you have a link?

Mar 12, 2017, 11:53 PM
    The "New reporting rules" may have only applied to Singapore, or possibly it might have been a policy change at Merrill Lynch. I was never able to uncover the details. All, I know is two other seasoned expatiates, working here in Singapore, no longer wanted to be on the plan. I suspect that the "New Reporting Rules" required reporting the award to the department of Inland Revenue. If that is the case, we would be double taxed on them, unlike our salaries that are only taxed in Singapore.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 13, 2017, 06:03 AM
    It sounds to me that you virtually gave back money, because it is rare when taxation is so high that exercising RSUs or stock options results in a loss.

Mar 13, 2017, 06:29 AM
    The "New Reporting Rule" was June or July of 2016, not 2017. I canot see what I am typing because I am now legally blind, and it is very diffucult for me to read this even with the large font. Surgery is next week, and hopefully I have my vision back very soon.

Mar 13, 2017, 06:54 AM
    They took nothing out at all when the shares vested, and when they sold. They left us to deal with everything.

I am not one for patience. My wife and I are childfree because niether of us want to be bothered with the headache of parenting. That is why I had a vasectomy. I feel the same way if the burden of the paperwork is handled by me rather than the bean counters in payroll.

I will be looking for work, back in California soon enough. Most companies, for example Google, offer RSU as part of the salary. I guess I need to know what questions to ask before I agree to accepting any RSU. I would need time to discuss it with my new colleagues before agreeing to accept RSU. I suppose HR can give me a week.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to report ESPP and RSU gain/loss in Schedule D [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an H1B holder. Resident for tax purposes. Status: Married Filing Jointly. My wife is not working. Kindly let me know how should I report my ESPP and RSU gains/loss in Schedule D. I got my Etrade 1099-B (it includes all my ESPP and RSU transactions). ...

RSU (restricted stock units) and NRA (non-resident alien) [ 7 Answers ]

Hi folks, I'm non-resident alien (NRA) working abroad for US company. Recently my restricted stock units (RSU) have vested, and some of them have been "sold to cover" the tax. May I know that -- as a NRA, can I claim a refund for those sold shares through "personal exemption" using form...

Can you refuse [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Dentist, My orthodontist has applied an "outrigger" hook appliance with my braces. Apparently, my teeth haven't moved enough. It is used to remind the patient to wear their elastics. I honestly and truly believe that I am more than competent to deliberate my responsibilities to wear these...

How many here will refuse to come? [ 28 Answers ]

Sunday's Gospel Lesson. Matthew 22.Parable of the wedding feast 1. Jesus began to speak to them in parables once again, 2. `The kingdom of Heaven may be compared to a king who gave a feast for his son's wedding. 3. He sent his servants to call those who had been invited, but they would not...

Refuse payment [ 4 Answers ]

Can Aarons sales and lease refuse a payment on an nsf check then take me to court for nonpayment?

View more questions Search