Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    itsfighter Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2017, 05:46 PM
    First year choice for Child only
    Hi Experts,

I have a question on making the first year choice for my child. My wife and I are Resident aliens for Tax purpose. Our daughter came to US on Nov 2016.

I am trying to find out whether we can make the first year choice ONLY for my daughter with my filing (or) the first year choice for the dependent(child) is only valid if one of us is also making the election?

https://www.irs.gov/pub/int_practice_units/JTO9431_02_11.PDF
    https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040s8.pdf

(1) the individual making the electionqualifies on his or her own behalf, (2) the child qualifies for the electionand (3) the child does not have an income tax filing requirement for theelection year.

If Yes, Can I claim dependent exemption and also the child tax credit

Please Advise. Appreciate your time and Thanks in advance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2017, 05:51 PM
    First Year Choice applies to the child even if both parents do not need to make that election. No statement s requirement, but you must WAIT until the child meets the Substantial Presence Test before you can claim him as a dependent.

That means you will have to wait until sometime in June to file your return.

Feb 1, 2017, 06:41 PM
    Thanks for the reply. To be on the safer side is it Ok attach the first year election letter for my child?

Will I be able to claim dependent exemption and child tax credit?

Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2017, 07:11 PM
    If you want to attach the statement, go ahead.

And, yes, the child DOES qualify for the dependent exemption and Child Tax Credit.

Feb 1, 2017, 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2017, 10:40 PM
    Glad to help!

Feb 4, 2017, 09:53 AM
    I need to also apply for ITIN so should I attach the first year choice statement for my child to form w7 along with necessary documents (certified copy of passport/ tax return) and send it to ITIN division address?

What should I enter in ITIN field for my child in tax return? I am using Taxact is there any dummy ssn I should use?

I am planning to file for extension to wait until June to make the choice. Can I use directpay and pay my balance does that automatically provide extension or should I file the form 4868?

Thanks for your time
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2017, 04:31 PM
    You should leave that field blank.

Enter a dummy SSN in the "Dependent and Qualifying Person" worksheet, then OVERWRITE it on the Form 1040 by blanking it out. When you print the Form 1040, the SSN field prints as BLANK, yet the tax calculations remain the same.

Feb 21, 2017, 05:13 PM
    Is there any specific order I should attach the first year statement, ITIN W7 form, Certified copy of passport, W2, 1099 and Tax return while filing paper return?

Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 21, 2017, 08:52 PM
    Staple the certified passport copy to the Form W-7.

Staple the Form W-2 to the front of the tax return.

Forms 1099 typically are NOT submitted with the tax return UNLESS they show withheld income taxes.

Paper-clip the W-7 to the tax return, then mail to the address in the Form W-7 instructions.

Expect the ITIN process to take at least six weeks, and probably two months.

Feb 24, 2017, 06:06 PM
    Thanks a Lot. Appreciate your time and answers.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 24, 2017, 07:48 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can first year choice be made for child who was in US for only 93 days in 2013? [ 5 Answers ]

Dear experts, Here is my situation: History: I was in US on L1B from 26th Sept 2010 to June 13th 2012. My Wife joined me L2 on 25th Oct 2010 and was here till 2nd march 2012. Both of us had SSN but wife didn't work. Current Situation

First-Year choice for child only, not me [ 11 Answers ]

Hello I am a resident alien, working on an L-1 visa. My child was born in India in 2012 and came to US on Nov 8. He cannot get SSN as he is on L-2 visa and a minor. I am applying for his ITIN. He does not meet substantial presence test.

First year choice, residents choice [ 5 Answers ]

I saw a similar question, but since my situation is a little different, I would like to be sure please. I was on H1-B from 2005 to February 2008. I then switched to F1 and was on F1 until end September 2009, when I went back to H1-B. Under substantial presence test, I was a resident for 2008...

First Year Choice for dependet child [ 3 Answers ]

I am J1 scholar who entered US in 2006. My husband is with J2 visa who entered US in 2006. My son is with J2 who entered US in 2007. All of us stayed in US for the whole year of 2008. My husband and I will file jointly using form 1040. My question is whether I can make first year...

L1 under first year choice and child tax credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi DallasTaxExpert, My kid (2.5 yrs), wife and I came to the US (Dallas) in Aug 2007 on L2, L2 and L1 respectively. I have applied EAD in january08 for my wife and I'll get EAD in couple of months and thereafter I'll go for her SSN. I'll ITIN for my kid when I file returns. My question...

View more questions Search