Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jim Shim Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2016, 09:06 AM
    How to fill in the blank at Affidavit part in W-8BEN
    I lived in United States during the period from Jan. 2006 to Dec. 2008 and I opened my US bank account in Jan. 2006. I returned to my country, Japan in Dec. 2008, so I am a non-resident alien now holding the account. After returning to my country, my personal information and residence address submitted to my bank have not changed. Recently, I received Form W-8BEN from them.
    The form has AFFIDAVIT OF UNCHANGED STATUS at the bottom and the sentence is different from previous one (see below). I would like to know what should be filled in the blank (underline part). I think it may be a date, but I am not sure what date should be there. Should it be date of returning to country?
    Many thanks for any help on this.

Latest form has;
    AFFIDAVIT OF UNCHANGED STATUS: under penalties of perjury I declare that I have examined and signed the above Form W-8BEN and that the information and certifications contained therein remained the same and unchanged from

__________________________ to the present, and were true, correct and complete for the time. (Please attach a separate signed statement if any information has changed.)

Previous form had;
    AFFIDAVIT OF UNCHANGED STATUS. Under penalties of perjury, I declare that I have examined and signed the above Form W-8BEN and that the information and certifications contained therein remained the same and unchanged for the period beginning January 1, 2001(or later account opening data) to the present, and were true, correct and complete during that period.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 13, 2016, 09:37 AM
    Okay, let's be clear. Does the bank have you living in Japan or the United States?

Oct 14, 2016, 11:42 PM
    Thank you for the message. My bank acount in United States (US) was opened when I was in US, and I am living in Japan now keeping the account. Does it become answer for you?
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 15, 2016, 05:44 AM
    You did not answer the question.

Does the BANK think you are still living in the United States, or do they know you are in Japan?

Oct 15, 2016, 07:23 AM
    They know I am in Japan. So, they sent W-8BEN to my current address as a non-resident alien. Thank you for your help in advance.
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 15, 2016, 10:55 AM
    Put in the date of the last W-8BEN submission in the blank line.

Oct 16, 2016, 05:07 AM
    Oh, it is an answer that makes sense! I will do so. I appreciate your great help!
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 19, 2016, 09:11 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank is asking to fill W-8Ben or W9 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am working for public company on L1 visa for the last one month and will be continue for next few years . I opened a bank a/c and they are asking me to fill W-8Ben or W9 so which form shouls I fill ?

How Can I fill Form W-8BEN? [ 2 Answers ]

I am working on OPT EAD currently as I am on F-1 Visa (Student Visa). I need to submit a W-8BEN form for eTrade account as I made some changes in my address in my eTrade account so they are asking me to submit an W-8BEN form. Has anyone ever submitted form W-8BEN form and what is the use of this...

How to fill w 8ben properly as nonresident of america [ 2 Answers ]

Please I like to know how to fill w8ben form proper,as nonresident of american,because I was try to open some account which I want to trade america stock market.but this form is the problem that am face all this while please help out of this.

As a non resident : Why to fill out the form W-8BEN ? [ 1 Answers ]

I am nonresident alien. I got some tax returns from IRS. $ 4000.00 for 2008 I opened account in Bank of America and deposit the money. I've received today a letter from Bank of America that IRS requires all banks to maintain Reports of all non resident alien. They also send a W-8BEN form to...

Which form to fill w9 or orW-8BEN [ 1 Answers ]

Hello , I am from India on H1-B status from Jan 2007,I have started my work from Jan 2007 and was on pregnancy leave for 4 months.Now I want to know WHat is my Status for tax purposes. I have ESOP of US based company,so I want to know which form should I fill W-9 orW-8BEN. Thanks a Lot, Ad

View more questions Search