Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    biox Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2016, 07:56 PM
    J1 visa retroactive taxation
    Hi,
    I am an Indian postdoc in US with J1 visa. Before I moved here, I was a Belgian resident. As both Belgium and India has double taxation treaty, I got my federal tax refund for 2 year. Recently I completed my 2 year and planning to stay beyond.
    How to proceed with the retroactive taxation? Am I eligible for any kind of tax benefit from IRS if I initiate the payment from my side?
    Thanks in advance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 2, 2016, 08:35 PM
    Does your J-21 visa show you as a resident of Belgium or India?

If India, then the U.S.-India Tax Treaty applies and you will have a retroactive tax obligation for the first two years you were in the U.S. IF you stay beyond two years.

If Belgium, then the Belgium-U.S. Tax Treaty applies and, under that treaty, there is NO retroactive tax obligation.

When you filed your tax returns for 2014 and 2015, WHICH country did you claim on the Form 1040NR and 8843?

If Belgium, you are okay and need do nothing but start paying taxes.

If India, you will either have to repay taxes owed for the first two years, or amend those returns to show yourself as a resident for Belgium. However, the IRS will probably be very receptive to such a change given that you are in fact a citizen of India, as documented by your passport.

If you have further question, or you need professional tax help, please email me at the email address in my profile.

Oct 3, 2016, 04:23 AM
    Dear AtlantaTaxExpert,

Thank you very much.

My J1 visa shows followings:
    Issuing Post Name: Brussels;
    Nationality: Indian;
    Annotation: Bearer is not subject to Section 212(E). 2 YR RULE NOT APPLY.

I was living in Belgium for 6 years with standard residence permit and not a permanent residence.

Am I eligible to file taxes as a Belgian resident?

Thanks a ton in advance.
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 3, 2016, 06:01 AM
    I suspect you are.

However, on the Schedule OI on Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, did you claim residency for Belgium or India, and which tax treaty did you claim when you claimed the treaty position for tax exemption?

Oct 3, 2016, 07:10 AM
    Dear AtlantaTaxExpert,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I was not sure if I can use the Belgium-US tax treaty at the time of filing.

So I used India-US tax treaty to claim the taxes. Also I used Indian residency.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    I suspect you are.

However, on the Schedule OI on Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, did you claim residency for Belgium or India, and which tax treaty did you claim when you claimed the treaty position for tax exemption?
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 3, 2016, 08:24 AM
    I have answered your PM. Please respond as requested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxation of G4 visa holders [ 3 Answers ]

Can a (dependent of a) G4 visa holder opt to file taxes as resident and use form 1040 instead of form 1040NR?

L1 visa taxation [ 1 Answers ]

Do the L1 applicants have to file taxes here in US? Or can they file their taxes in India? Is there a mechanism via which their tax liabilities are optimized(maybe part of salary or compensation be paid in India rather than US or vice versa, if that helps)?

L1 Visa & Taxation [ 1 Answers ]

I am on a 6 month assignment to work in my parent company in USA from India(where I am permanantly employed). For my tenure of stay, I have been told that all remittances to my local bank account in $ are Tax Equalized - meaning I will not be liable to pay any more or any less tax than what I...

US taxation of l-1 visa hold [ 1 Answers ]

How are L-1 visa holders taxed in the United States? Are L-1 visa holders taxed on their world wide income or only income ( i.e. wages) earned in the United States? Does the answer to above question change is the person is in the United States less than 183 days? Also, does the answer change...

Taxation while on L-1 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am from India and came to US on L-1 Visa (to WA State) in first week of Sept 2006 with Spouse and one kid as dependents. My spouse is not working and I am getting salary in india from the indian entity of my US employer, the indian salary is being taxed (deduction at source) there...

View more questions Search