Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jake2005 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 11:40 AM
    Tax software for calculating foreign tax credits on Form 1116
    Hi there.
    I wonder if anyone can advise me which is the best software for filling out Form 1116? I am using Turbotax 'Home and Business' and the IRS instructions together to fill mine out, but the IRS instructions are SO complicated and the Turbotax software assumes that you know a lot about filling out this form.
    Does anyone know of an 'easy to understand' online version of this form, which will calculate my foreign tax credits if I input the information? Or else a simplified version of the IRS instructions - for individuals who are not tax experts!
    Thank you in advance for your help.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Apr 9, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jake2005
    Hi there.
    I wonder if anyone can advise me which is the best software for filling out Form 1116? I am using Turbotax 'Home and Business' and the IRS instructions together to fill mine out, but the IRS instructions are SO complicated and the Turbotax software assumes that you know a lot about filling out this form.
    Does anyone know of an 'easy to understand' online version of this form, which will calculate my foreign tax credits if I input the information? or else a simplified version of the IRS instructions - for individuals who are not tax experts!?
    Both Turbo Tax and Tax Cut rely on the user knowing something about this. The software does do the basics but you need to use additional effort and research for the FTC.

Apr 11, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Texas Tax Expert - Thank you for your help. I'll try Tax Cut to see if it's any easier.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2007, 12:37 PM
    You might want to try TaxAct.

Apr 16, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Thank you Atlanta TaxExpert - I'll give it a go!
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 23, 2007, 01:44 PM
    Glad to help!
    mehnazq Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2007, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jake2005
    Hi there.
    Does anyone know of an 'easy to understand' online version of this form, which will calculate my foreign tax credits if I input the information? or else a simplified version of the IRS instructions - for individuals who are not tax experts!?
    You can email me at [email protected] and I will explain you.
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 30, 2007, 07:52 AM
    Give Mehnazq a shot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help me compute US tax liaibility after foreign tax credit [ 2 Answers ]

:eek: A us company Frank expand with a new co (Ana) formation into a foreign host company with a 20% tax on corporate income within its borders. At the end of its fourth yr of operations the foreign corp Ana distributes $100,000 to Frank from its earning and progits previously taxes by the host...

Form 1116, foreign tax credit: Tax paid vs tax accrued, exchange rates and dates [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm applying for foreign tax credit on taxes I've paid / accrued on interest earned in savings accounts and certificate deposits in New Zealand. For cds, the bank statements don't give precise dates for when taxes were withheld. And so I have several questions relating to form 1116, Part II: ...

Tax Return form and Tax Status-F1 to H1B [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Dear, I am Korean who grew up in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. I am Korean citizen, but I hold Bolivia residency. I came to California on February 16, 2001 under B-1 visa. After 5 weeks, I went back to Santa Cruz, Bolivia in order to get F-1 visa. Then, in June 02, 2001 I came back to California...

Foreign Tax Deductions Against MD State Tax Liability [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in London for 8 months out of the year. I worked in Maryland the other 4 months. I know how to use foreign tax credits on my federal and social security liabilities. Is there any way to use foreign tax credits against my Maryland State and Local Tax liability? These taxes are for...

Tax liaibility after foreign tax credit [ 3 Answers ]

Help me compute US tax liaibility after foreign tax credit

View more questions Search