Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lathampark Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2007, 07:05 PM
    Do I owe back taxes
    I recently brought some property from my mom. She had money problems and owed 0ver 10k of back taxes. Do I owe these back taxes or do I owe from when I purchased it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2007, 07:18 PM
    Well at normal closing back taxes have to be paid at or before closing.
    But since this is between family, if she owed back taxes, they are still owed on this property, and if not paid, they can sell the property for failure to pay back taxes ( tax lien)

So you have to be sure they are paid, just you buying the house does not take away the obligation to pay the taxes, so if they were not paid at closing on your home, you basically owe them now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installment agreement w/ IRS and owe more taxes [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have an installment agreement with the IRS to pay back taxes owed (1997 year) and just found out that I will owe more taxes for 2006. Can I have the 2006 taxes combined with my current installment agreement or do I have to pay it in full? Any help would be appreciated

Back Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how much I owe the IRS in back taxes from 2004. Can you help me?

How Much % Of Taxes We Get Back. [ 3 Answers ]

I have two W-2 forms from my Employer one for my OPT period and One for my H-1B. I Want to know how much percentage of taxes I will get back.

How do I use Back Taxes to my advantage? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My name is Curtis and I live in Michigan. My two brothers and I are starting a partnership to buy houses cheap and flip them for profit. We know there is a way to pick up houses with back taxes on them for cheap. However, none of us have experience doing this. I was wondering if you...

Back Taxes Disaster [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I will try to make a LONG story short. I have always been self employed, a resident of the City & State of New York. In 1991 I was married and looked forward to building a comfortable middle class life with my new bride. Wishing to avoid any problems financially I for the first time...

View more questions Search