Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chinini78 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 03:41 AM
    Tax Return form and Tax Status-F1 to H1B
    Hi Dear,

I am Korean who grew up in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. I am Korean citizen, but I hold Bolivia residency.

I came to California on February 16, 2001 under B-1 visa. After 5 weeks, I went back to Santa Cruz, Bolivia in order to get F-1 visa. Then, in June 02, 2001 I came back to California under F-1 visa. Since then, I have been attending to college. However, in July, 2002, I went to Santa Cruz, Bolivia for summer vacation. After two months (September 2, 2002), I came back to California to continue with my education. I have been here since my last summer vacation.

In August, 2005, I had a paid internship in order to fulfill my graduation requirements for my major; therefore, I have filed taxes for 2005. In May, 2006, I graduated from the university. In August, 2006, I have begun to work under OPT (Optional Practical Training-temporary work permit), thus, I have already filed taxes for 2006. Both taxes, I used HR Block services because I don’t know anything about U.S income tax. After reading your website, I realized that HR block has made mistakes on filing my taxes. They used 1040(U.S income tax form). What can I do about this situation? What is my tax status? What tax form I should file for income tax? How can I fix this opportunity? I am still under F-1 status.

But, in October, 2007, I will be getting H1B status; I would like to know what will be my tax status during that time? What tax form I should file for 2007 tax return, if I get H1-B status?

Please advice.

Thank you very much for your help and cooperation.

Best Regards,

Sam

PS: I dot not understand the tax status test?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 2, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Sam:

The exempt status granted to F-1 visaholders expires after five years; your expired on 31 Dec 2005.

In 2005, you were a non-resident alien, and should have filed Form 1040NR-EZ. Go back to H&R Block and ask them to amend the return to fix this error. If they will not, contact me below.

For 2006, you were a resident alien, so the tax return H&R Block filed for you was probably correct.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing tax return (Changed status from F1-OPT to H1B) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I was a F1 student from Jan 2001 to Dec 2005. I am an Indian citizen and single I did my OPT in Texas Tech Univ. from Dec 18 2005 to Dec 17 2006. I got my H1B on Dec 18 2006 from TTU. I have Fedral income tax, social security tax and medicare tax charged during 2006. Which of the forms...

Status on Tax return [ 1 Answers ]

This is related to my friend He got married in year 2006, He stayed portion of year in California and portion of year in Texas, where as his wife stayed total year in Texas. When he approached Tax consultant, Tax consultant mentioned to file a Joint return and he need to pay tax for income...

OPT to H-1 Tax Return Form [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I was in OPT from March 06 to Sep 06, and changed my visa status to H-1 from Oct 06. It will be the first tax return, so please help me! 1) Which form should I use, should I file two tax return as OPT and H-1? 2) Can I claim lawyer fee that I paid to process my H-1 visa? 3) I live and...

Tax return in student status [ 3 Answers ]

Iam currently in H1b and filed taxes for the year 2004 and 2005. I was a student -F1 visa in 2003 and first half of 2004. I didn't know that I had to file tax return since I did not work and not get paid during my entire student year. What is my recousre now, sholud I file tax return for year...

H1B tax form [ 4 Answers ]

January 2005, my H1B was approved and worked for 8 month. Thereafter, I got displaced due to hurricane Katrina and relocated. I transferred my H1B to new employer in a different state. Worked for new employer for 2 month. I've been residing in the US since July 2001. Traveled out of the us twice, 2...

View more questions Search